Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see what all the hubbub is about. I enjoying linguistic discrepancies. From a linguist's standpoint, there is no such thing as "bad grammar." That's like saying there is "bad color" in the world. This is what we in linguistics call "prescriptivism." This simply doesn't work because prescriptivism states that there are rules (i.e. grammar) in language which need to be followed. Language is alive, fluid, and constantly changing. See the semantic shift that has taken place with the word "gay" from oh 60 years ago until now. Language will never prescribe to rules placed upon it. The English may say we talk funny, but at least we're not Scottish!

There is a difference in the word "Gay" being used evolvingly, and the word "irregardless" being used to mean it's polar opposite.

One is evolution of a word, the other is rampant igorance of a word, with the intention of sounding smarter or more emphatic, irregardless of the irrewrongness of the damned word.

Yeah, people who say "supposably" aren't pioneers in the evolution of language - they're dopes.

There is a difference in the word "Gay" being used evolvingly, and the word "irregardless" being used to mean it's polar opposite.

i'm willing to bet that there are plenty of people who don't know that gay means anything other than homosexual (especially in my generation).

i'm willing to bet that there are plenty of people who don't know that gay means anything other than homosexual (especially in my generation).

To my generation (at least to 13 year old boys when I was 13) Gay meant: Lame, Unfair, or otherwise crappy or suck ass.

PC and liguistical nazis are NOT hand in hand.

I like Mencia's definition of retarded. "Retarded does not refer to people who were born with mental challenges, it refers to people who were born normal, but who fail to use their fully fuctioning brain, and insist on doing things that are retarded"

PC and liguistical nazis are NOT hand in hand.

I like Mencia's definition of retarded. "Retarded does not refer to people who were born with mental challenges, it refers to people who were born normal, but who fail to use their fully fuctioning brain, and insist on doing things that are retarded"

Which, unfortunately, describes a majority of the population.

/or so it seems

Not everyone who is offended by the negative use of words like "retarded" is a PC "Nazi". Some of us have close family members who are actual "retards". Some of us even have close family members who were imprisoned by actual Nazis.... So, yeah, it's hilarious! My sister loves being called a retard! :)

Either they never saw the opening song to a Flintstones cartoon or thought the whole thing took place in a very old part of San Francisco.

Not everyone who is offended by the negative use of words like "retarded" is a PC "Nazi". Some of us have close family members who are actual "retards". Some of us even have close family members who were imprisoned by actual Nazis.... So, yeah, it's hilarious! My sister loves being called a retard! :)

Damn......little I can say to that except. SORRY! (although use of Nazi, to mean a fanatical ass hat, still seems ok to me)

Either they never saw the opening song to a Flintstones cartoon or thought the whole thing took place in a very old part of San Francisco.

O HOLY PHUCK!!!!!!!

That ,my friend, was genius.

Just saw a new one. "Alittle." As in the opposite of "alot." Not sure if it's a typo.

"Expecially" last night on "minute to win it".(which also SUCKS, despite a cool host. He just needs to stick with food)

More things that annoy me:

Saying "Y'all" when you were born, raised, and live North of the Mason-Dixon line.

The phrase "Me thinks". What are you, from the Shire?

KayaBrew said:
The phrase "Me thinks". What are you, from the Shire?

Arg! Yes! This bugs the heck out of me but I haven't been able to put my finger on it till now!

Hurricane reminded me of this one. When you say that residents were evacuated, you mean that the place they were (building, town, etc.) was evacuated. Evacuating a person is messy, and it is not what you are trying to say.

Things that make you puke are nauseous. People that feel like they are going to puke are nauseated.

To say "I am nauseous" means you cause someone else to be sick!

bluemoose said:
Things that make you puke are nauseous. People that feel like they are going to puke are nauseated.

To say "I am nauseous" means you cause someone else to be sick!

Yes!! Huge pet peeve of mine.

This morning on the Mike and Mike show on ESPN radio, the guest said "strategical".

Understanding what he meant does not make it a word. Does it?

Oh, and "unwritten rule". If it's unwritten, it isn't a rule. Maybe an understanding, but not a rule.

Back