Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three words shalt thou not use, nor shalt thou use one word, excepting where the one word, "a," shall be immediately followed by "lot."

Hold on a second here. Color me dense, what with the adaptation from the film this is all a bit convoluted, but don't you mean "accepting?"

Ok, so this thread is a year and a half old I am just seeing it now??? Yikes...

I admit I did not read the last several pages, so I repeat a couple rants, I apologize. Here are some of mine:

It is JEW-EL-RY, not JEW-LE-RY.
It is REAL-TOR, not RE-LIT-OR.

Gi-normous. I hate that word, if it is a word. Just say gigantic or enormous, please.

I used to work in a meat department, and we sold a lot of fish. I always wanted to choke people that would mispronounce SMELT. They always said SHMELTH. Grrrr.

Which reminds me, if you are talking about the use of your nose, it is SMELLED, not SMELT. "You farted, I smelt it!!"

Ok, rant over for now.

Another one:

Referring to Lambeau Field as the Frozen Tundra. Tundra, by definition, is frozen. So it is like saying Frozen Frozen Ground.......

Does there actually exist another person who understands the difference between "less" and "few"? Damn, you wouldn't believe the flak I get from people when I try to describe this difference in usage.

Ding! Nobody correctly uses the word fewer anymore. Fewer - when things are countable, less - when they are not.

"There are fewer people at the ball game today than yesterday, and they drank less beer."

Also has anybody else noticed the word BEcause has disappeared from spoken English. Just listen, I bet tomorrow that not one person you talk to will actually say the BE.

Another one:

Referring to Lambeau Field as the Frozen Tundra. Tundra, by definition, is frozen. So it is like saying Frozen Frozen Ground.......

On that note, in the Army people call their patrol caps (camo baseball hat) a pc cap....that's basically saying patrol cap cap.

Also, people that use the work drug to explain a past-tense pulling action...yes, drug is a word, but it doesn't mean the same thing as dragged (the right word). Buy a dictionary dude! :ban::ban:

On that note, in the Army people call their patrol caps (camo baseball hat) a pc cap....that's basically saying patrol cap cap.

Also, people that use the work drug to explain a past-tense pulling action...yes, drug is a word, but it doesn't mean the same thing as dragged (the right word). Buy a dictionary dude! :ban::ban:

Reminds me of when I was a kid in the 50's. There was a well known sportscaster on nationally broadcast baseball games named Dizzy Dean (he had been a famous pitcher). One of his favorite expressions was "slud", as in "He slud into first base."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_Dean

Reminds me of when I was a kid in the 50's. There was a well known sportscaster on nationally broadcast baseball games named Dizzy Dean (he had been a famous pitcher). One of his favorite expressions was "slud", as in "He slud into first base."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dizzy_Dean
This thread could go another 29 pages on Dizzy's Quotes alone...like this one:

Let the teachers teach English and I will teach baseball. There is a lot of people in the United States who say isn't, and they ain't eating.

Am I the only one around here who is irritated by people referring to Bavarian wheat beers as a "hefe," or "hef," or worst of all, "heff"? Really, you want to make a yeast? Or maybe a yeas? They're wheat beers, whichever language you use. Use weizenbier if you must, but why all the focus on the first part of the word, when it clearly is not a description of the variety of beer inside?

It's a good thing I just read about this. Were anyone ever to ask me for a "hef" while at my home, I'd be offering up a pint of yeast slurry. I'd make damn sure he/she drank it, too.

GuldTuborg said:
Am I the only one around here who is irritated by people referring to Bavarian wheat beers as a "hefe," or "hef," or worst of all, "heff"? Really, you want to make a yeast? Or maybe a yeas? They're wheat beers, whichever language you use. Use weizenbier if you must, but why all the focus on the first part of the word, when it clearly is not a description of the variety of beer inside?

It's a good thing I just read about this. Were anyone ever to ask me for a "hef" while at my home, I'd be offering up a pint of yeast slurry. I'd make damn sure he/she drank it, too.

Actually in parts if Germany Hefeweizen is commonly abreviated in 'hefe'. You walk into a pub and order a 'hefe' you will get a Hefeweizen.

Actually in parts if Germany Hefeweizen is commonly abreviated in 'hefe'. You walk into a pub and order a 'hefe' you will get a Hefeweizen.

Really? I can't say I've heard it before, but I've spent very little time in Bavaria. I guess I really am just a bitter old curmudgeon.

GuldTuborg said:
Really? I can't say I've heard it before, but I've spent very little time in Bavaria. I guess I really am just a bitter old curmudgeon.

Went to a wedding over there and that is how the locals did it. It may be a regional thing.

"Notated", while a word, is SO misused.
Flotation devices do NOT flotate people, nor are things that are merely "NOTED" (ie. not in small italics outside the normal borders of the page) NOTATED.

And, newscasters and politicians, "nuclear" is nu-clee-ar, not nu-cyoo-lar.

Avoid Alliteration. Always.
Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
Avoid cliches like the plague. (They’re old hat.)
Employ the vernacular.
Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are unnecessary.
It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
Contractions aren’t necessary.
Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
One should never generalize.
Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.”
Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
Don’t be redundant; don’t use more words than necessary; it’s highly superfluous.
Profanity sucks.
Be more or less specific.
Understatement is always best.
Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
One word sentences? Eliminate.
Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
The passive voice is to be avoided.
Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
Who needs rhetorical questions?

There's a sh*tbird who live a mile or so down the road who sells campfire wood.

He has a sign by the road that says "Camp wood $5 for a armful".

It likewise bothers me when Americans use the article "an" in front of words that clearly begin with consonant sounds. E.g., "to take an historical approach...". Really, did you become British for a moment there?

jmf143 said:
Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
Even if a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
Who needs rhetorical questions?

Should we avoid question talking? Yes.

GuldTuborg said:
It likewise bothers me when Americans use the article "an" in front of words that clearly begin with consonant sounds. E.g., "to take an historical approach...". Really, did you become British for a moment there?

That bugs the snot out of me.

An historic moment....

Someone the other day said to put something in the microwave for 3 minutes to unthaw it. My first thought was... It's already unthawed... I want it unFROZE.

I'm with you on that one!

Two more:

"He's an intricate part of the offense." (Instead of integral. Said by a radio host.)
Perspective instead of prospective.

Improper use of reflexive pronouns like "If you have any questions, call myself."

Actually, that was the proper form for "American" English up until a few years ago. Anytime a or an preceded a word that stated with an "h" and it was immediately followed by a vowel, you used an. If you look at some older dictionaries, it gives examples like:
an hippotamus, an historic event...

Conversate, conversating, and conversated

I first heard these in the Marine Corps, but unfortunately they appear to have spread.

I wanted to shove pencils into my ears when a member of my senior capstone class used conversating in a presentation. Where did these words even come from? Are our schools really so bad that we can't teach proper conjugation anymore?

"Irregardles" is still the worst thing a person can say. To utter this word confirms your addition to the "Dip **** of the YEAR" nomination pool.

cheezydemon3 said:
"Irregardles" is still the worst thing a person can say. To utter this word confirms your addition to the "Dip **** of the YEAR" nomination pool.

Arg my boss says that all the time, and he fits into that category. My personal favorites are eXscaped and nuc-ya-ler (nuclear). I think we have maybe had a president the said that.

Back