Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I feel nauseous," instead of "I feel nauseated."

Yeah. You make me feel like vomiting, too.

WOW!! Nice one, but that one has roughly a 5% chance of survival, since rhetorical disflouenciated fools (evidently.....like ME ;)) or even well educated fools, once they feel "nauseated" all grammatical rules go out the window.

I don't like it when certain ****** bags here post responses that say something like "we recommend". Don't speak for me, Mr. Know-it-all! How do you know that's what I recommend?

bluemoose said:
We recommend the last post be stricken from this thread.

We are going to second that recommendation, and we are also recommending the poster slap himself with a rubber chicken

This thread is TO phucking long!!!!!

Between you and I, I think think the nucleus of what we are all getting at, is that, as of yet, no one has failed to make a dictionary, that satisfies everyone, irregardles of education or handy cap.

I get very flustrated with all of these long winded and supposably correct statements that literally pull my penis out of my pants and try to STOMP on it with decimating force.

As of right now, no one has of yet made so compelling an argument as the mandate of the people, that archetypical american, who puts hin pants on one leg at a time, working to unthaw the cold hearts of evil literacy bastards such as you're fine selves.

My last trip to the libary literally proved VERY fruitful!

I read some books for a minute, and then realized that I COULD CARE LESS what tight assed writers of books say!

So I logged on to the organic and quite literally alive internet to see what the real peoples was saying.

Woodint you do the same? When faced with evil books and there ability to brainwash otherwise cool people like myself and my friends?

So I utilized my brain and my belief in personal freedom, the penultimate traits that make us people.

But I digress as I notate my main points.

Utilize libaries, but only for the internet.

The forth or fith time someone corrects you when you utilize freedome of speech to make up cool new words, hit them.

The dooche bags and blow hards will be drownded out by the awesomeness of the creative thinkers.

Unloosen thy tongue and let lose whatever may come!

For all intensive purpose, any word or fusion of words may be utilized for any chosen definition, at any given time.

thank you, God BLESST!

I's TO IRRETARDED for your inferiated intellectuation to unda stand!, thank you very much.

Don't bother to please RSVP with your incompacitated response neither!!

DURRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Rules of grammar is something schools should insure their alumnis know about.

I like, was looking for a beer recipe, and I like, read this whole post instead, and I thought like, wow, like from now on I am going to, like try and use the righter words? cuz, like, I don't want to sound like, stupid or anything.

I like, was looking for a beer recipe, and I like, read this whole post instead, and I thought like, wow, like from now on I am going to, like try and use the righter words? cuz, like, I don't want to sound like, stupid or anything.

That's the spirit!

On a bumper sticker I saw on my way in to work this morning, I couldn't believe it:

"My Child At A Charter School"

I thought what happend to "is", or "goes to", or "attends"? Well this is Southeast Michigan after all...

On a bumper sticker I saw on my way in to work this morning, I couldn't believe it:

"My Child At A Charter School"

I thought what happend to "is", or "goes to", or "attends"? Well this is Southeast Michigan after all...

reminds me of a liquor store here in town. Has a sign on the door that says "Broke. Used the other door."

It always makes me laugh, because I imagine that not only do the doors have feelings, but the guy who put the sign on the door was leaving a note for another employee.

Dear Ted,

I accidentally used the other door, and this one stopped working.

Here's one that always bothers me: orientate instead of orient, and orientated instead of oriented.

I hate misuse of "proverbial," as in from a proverb. You can have a proverbial briar patch, you can have proverbial sour grapes, etc. You cannot have a proverbial 747 or a proverbial computer crash, unless there are some new proverbs I don't know.

It's ever worse when it's pronounced "perverbial."

My calc teacher in high school pointed this out to me and it still annoys me today. I'll be watching a basketball game and the announcers will say there is a 8 second differential of the shot clock and game clock. Difference, not differential. Subtraction, not calculus.

One of my friends always corrected sentences that end in a prepostition by adding "yo." Where are you at, yo?

Also, good does not equal well; especially in response to the question "How are you?".

Also, good does not equal well; especially in response to the question "How are you?".

Are you saying one or the other is not correct or are you merely stating that they are not equal, as in one means "health" and the other encompasses more than that?

Are you saying one or the other is not correct or are you merely stating that they are not equal, as in one means "health" and the other encompasses more than that?

I was trying to say that responding with "I'm good." to the question "How are you?" is incorrect, but after a little research it looks like I've been misinformed. People do consistently use "good" in place of "well" and they are not the same.

I speak good, I do.

I was trying to say that responding with "I'm good." to the question "How are you?" is incorrect, but after a little research it looks like I've been misinformed. People do consistently use "good" in place of "well" and they are not the same.

I speak good, I do.

You may be thinking about when it is preceeded with doing.

He is not doing good in school, he is doing well.

I hate "how are you?" in general when it comes from strangers.

No one tells the truth (unless they actually are "fine" at that moment), no one wants to hear the truth - imagine a waitress or cashier saying "How are you?" and the response is, "well, I had some trouble sleeping last night so I'm kinda tired and I have a nagging pain in my knee from playing basketball last week and I'm stressed about work ..."

And barely anyone listens to the response. I was at the gym and one employee asked if I had a preference for a locker location while another asked "how are you?" in responding to the first question about the locker location, I said "anywhere." Second guy says "well, that's good!"
"How are you?"
"Anywhere."
"Well, that's good!"

I haven't read the entire thread here, but the East coast habit of adding the letter "R" to the end of words drives me up a wall. "I sawr it happen myself".

Also, at what point in time did a PRANK phone call become a CRANK phone call. Crank doesn't even make sense.

Haha! Like in the early 90s when an East Coast transplant coach of mine would talk about Vaniller Ice.

I speak good, I do.

very good then, yo.
:D:D:D

JollyIsTheRoger said:
My calc teacher in high school pointed this out to me and it still annoys me today. I'll be watching a basketball game and the announcers will say there is a 8 second differential of the shot clock and game clock. Difference, not differential. Subtraction, not calculus.

dif·fer·en·tial/ˌdifəˈrenSHəl/

Noun:
A difference between amounts of things.

One of my professors the other day was talking about an example resume (THAT HE WROTE) and he kept pronouncing the name Tabitha "Tabatha"

he also says hairricane.

to all the haters:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY]Stephen Fry Kinetic Typography - Language - YouTube[/ame]

Back