Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning on the Mike and Mike show on ESPN radio, the guest said "strategical".

Understanding what he meant does not make it a word. Does it?

Oh, and "unwritten rule". If it's unwritten, it isn't a rule. Maybe an understanding, but not a rule.

I don't know the context but I thought strategical is a word in the dictionary.

Love Mike & Mike by the way.

I don't know the context but I thought strategical is a word in the dictionary.

online dictionaries don't necessarily count. It's a Bush-ism.
Strategic or Strategically fit in any context that you can imagine Strategical.

mr_f84d70531d8aa0.jpg

sadly, prevalent here...
even if this were a joke, "your/you're" is so misused that the joke would be lost, and it would continue to reinforce the error.

That's like the Old Navy college sports t-shirts that say "Lets Go Wisconsin!" and "Lets Go Michigan!"

That's like the Old Navy college sports t-shirts that say "Lets Go Wisconsin!" and "Lets Go Michigan!"

This reminds me of the way my iphone automatically corrects when I type "its" to insert the apostrophe, even when I am referring to the possessive pronoun. :mad:

Speaking of sports broadcasters, this is technically a disfluency, but not one I hate: trickeration.

Things that make you puke are nauseous. People that feel like they are going to puke are nauseated.

To say "I am nauseous" means you cause someone else to be sick!

I guess Webster got it wrong:

1: causing nausea or disgust : nauseating
2: affected with nausea or disgust
— nau·seous·ly adverb
— nau·seous·ness noun
See nauseous defined for English-language learners »
See nauseous defined for kids »
Usage Discussion of NAUSEOUS
Those who insist that nauseous can properly be used only in sense 1 and that in sense 2 it is an error for nauseated are mistaken. Current evidence shows these facts: nauseous is most frequently used to mean physically affected with nausea, usually after a linking verb such as feel or become; figurative use is quite a bit less frequent. Use of nauseous in sense 1 is much more often figurative than literal, and this use appears to be losing ground to nauseating. Nauseated is used more widely than nauseous in sense 2.

from this site - excerpted from Readers Digest, Wed, Aug 8, 2010

You never mean: Could care less
You always mean: Couldn't care less

Why: You want to say you care so little already that you couldn't possibly care any less. When the Boston Celtics' Ray Allen said, "God could care less whether I can shoot a jump shot," we know he meant exactly the opposite because 1) God has other things on his mind, and 2) God is a Knicks fan.

You might say: Mano a mano
You might mean: Man-to-man

Why: You don't speak Spanish by adding vowels to the end of English words, as a columnist describing father–teenage son relationships seemed to think when he wrote, "Don't expect long, mano a mano talks." Mano a mano (literally, "hand to hand") originated with bullfighting and usually refers to a knock-down, drag-out direct confrontation.

You might say: Less
You might mean: Fewer

Why: In general, use fewer when you're specifying a number of countable things ("200 words or fewer"); reserve less for a mass ("less than half"). So when you're composing a tweet, do it in 140 characters or fewer, not less.

You never mean: Hone in
You always mean: Home in

Why: Like homing pigeons, we can be single-minded about finding our way to a point: "Scientists are homing in on the causes of cancer." Hone means "to sharpen": "The rookie spent the last three seasons honing his skills in the minor leagues." But it's easy to mishear m's and n's, which is probably what happened to the Virginia senator who said, "We've got to hone in on cost containment." If you're unsure, say "zero in" instead.

You might say: Bring
You might mean: Take

Why: The choice depends on your point of view. Use bring when you want to show motion toward you ("Bring the dog treats over here, please"). Use take to show motion in the opposite direction ("I have to take Rufus to the vet"). The rule gets confusing when the movement has nothing to do with you. In those cases, you can use either verb, depending on the context: "The assistant brought the shot to the vet" (the vet's point of view); "the assistant took the shot to the doctor" (the assistant's).

You might say: Who
You might mean: Whom

Why: It all depends. Do you need a subject or an object? A subject (who) is the actor of the sentence: "Who left the roller skates on the sidewalk?" An object (whom) is the acted-upon: "Whom are you calling?" Parents, hit the Mute button when Dora the Explorer shouts, "Who do we ask for help when we don't know which way to go?"

You almost never mean: Brother-in-laws, runner-ups, hole in ones, etc.
You almost always mean: Brothers-in-law, runners-up, holes in one, etc.

Why: Plurals of these compound nouns are formed by adding an s to the thing there's more than one of (brothers, not laws). Some exceptions: words ending in ful (mouthfuls) and phrases like cul-de-sacs.

You almost never mean: Try and
You almost always mean: Try to

Why: Try and try again, yes, but if you're planning to do something, use the infinitive form: "I'm going to try to run a marathon." Commenting on an online story about breakups, one woman wrote, "A guy I dated used to try and impress me with the choice of books he was reading." It's no surprise that the relationship didn't last.

You almost never mean: Different than
You almost always mean: Different from

Why: This isn't the biggest offense, but if you can easily substitute from for than (My mother's tomato sauce is different from my mother-in-law's), do it. Use than for comparisons: My mother's tomato sauce is better than my mother-in-law's.

You almost never mean: Beg the question
You almost always mean: Raise the question

Why: Correctly used, "begging the question" is like making a circular argument (I don't like you because you're so unlikable). But unless you're a philosophy professor, you shouldn't ever need this phrase. Stick to "raise the question."

You might say: More than
You can also say: Over

Why: The two are interchangeable when the sense is "Over 6,000 hats were sold." We like grammarian Bryan Garner's take on it: "The charge that over is inferior to more than is a baseless crotchet."

You almost never mean: Supposably
You almost always mean: Supposedly

Why: Supposably is, in fact, a word—it means "conceivably"—but not the one you want if you're trying to say "it's assumed," and certainly not the one you want if you're on a first date with an English major or a job interview with an English speaker.

You might say: All of
You probably mean: All

Why: Drop the of whenever you can, as Julia Roberts recently did, correctly: "Every little moment is amazing if you let yourself access it. I learn that all the time from my kids." But you need all of before a pronoun ("all of them") and before a possessive noun ("all of Julia's kids").

You might say: That
You might mean: Which

Why: "The money that is on the table is for you" is different from "the money, which is on the table, is for you." That pinpoints the subject: The money that is on the table is yours; the money in my pocket is mine. Which introduces an aside, a bit of extra information. If you remove "which is on the table," you won't change the meaning: The money is for you (oh, and unless you don't want it, it's on the table). If the clause is necessary to your meaning, use that; if it could safely be omitted, say which.

You never mean: Outside of
You always mean: Outside

Why: These two prepositions weren't meant for each other. Perfectly acceptable: "Wearing a cheese-head hat outside Wisconsin will likely earn you some stares and glares (unless you're surrounded by Green Bay Packers fans, that is)."

You might say: Each other
You might mean: One another

Why: Tradition says that each other should be used with two people or things, and one another with more than two, and careful speakers should follow suit: "The three presenters argued with one another over who should announce the award, but Ann and Barbara gave each other flowers after the ceremony." (By the way, if you need the possessive form of either one when writing that business letter, it's always each other's and one another's; never end with s'.)

8 Confusing Pairs

leery, wary: suspicious
weary: tired

farther: for physical distance
further: for metaphorical distance or time

principle: rule
principal: of your school

compliment: nice thing to say
complement: match

continual: ongoing but intermittent
continuous: without interruption

stationary: stands still
stationery: paper

imply: to suggest a meaning
infer: to draw meaning from something

affect: typically a verb, meaning "to act upon or cause an effect"; as a noun, it's "an emotional response"
effect: typically a noun, meaning "something produced," like a special effect; as a verb, "to bring about," as in "to effect change"

I'm proud to be from the South, but the phrase "used to could" makes me cringe. Usually it's pronounced more like useda could.

"He used to could do that but now he cain't."

Dear GOD Hangglider!!!!

No response, just sheer, dumbfounded adoration my friend!

You got all of the ones that have been fleeting thoughts over the years that NEVER would have come to me.

One linguistic disfluency that bugs me is people prescribing how words should be used only to describe how words used to be used or how a set of "rules" say they should be used. Language evolves and pronunciation and spelling evolve with it. Rules are broken so often that they are only useful guides. What is and isn't correct isn't decided by a govening body of English professors somewhere. It is decided by common usage. Examples:

Conversate, conversating, and conversated

I first heard these in the Marine Corps, but unfortunately they appear to have spread.

I wanted to shove pencils into my ears when a member of my senior capstone class used conversating in a presentation. Where did these words even come from? Are our schools really so bad that we can't teach proper conjugation anymore?
Conversate is a word in general use. Therefore it is correct. However depending on how he used it, conversating could be used wrong.

The idea that "irregardless" should be the antonym to regardless. The rules would suggest that but there are exceptions to the rules and this is one of them. Irregardless has entered standard English as a synonym to regardless.

I'll keep it going....

It is not an "ATM machine" - that would make it an "automated teller machine machine".
It is not a "LCD display" - that would make it a "liquid crystal display display".
It is not a "DVD disk" - that would make it a "digital versatile disk disk" or a "digital video disk disk".

CD-ROM disk , PIN number, VIN number, UPC code.... etc, etc.
Sorry but those are all standard usage and therefore correct.

Yeah there are rules but these aren't examples of people breaking them. If everyone does it, it isn't wrong.

That being said, using vernacular in a formal setting is wrong. In casual conversation I could give a crap how nonstandard you sound. But HOLY FSM ON A STICK don't go into a job interview talking like that.

BUTT OUT BOB.

Ever seen Idiocracy?

There is a reason the semi retarded masses don't get to decide everything.

Why have schools? Just do what you see the other idiots doing.:drunk:

...Sorry but those are all standard usage and therefore correct.
... If everyone does it, it isn't wrong.

BUTT OUT BOB.

Ever seen Idiocracy?

There is a reason the semi retarded masses don't get to decide everything.

Why have schools? Just do what you see the other idiots doing.:drunk:

Now, now...Bob is only expressing his opinion, which he's entitled to.. even though he thinks he's right and we know he's not...:D

One can decipher the name of some unfamiliar words, by breaking them down into the presumed root word, and definable prefixes and suffixes.

"Irregardless" is the epitomy of deuchebaggery for me. The WRONG prefix (irre) added to the word (in my past experiences) purely so more emphasis can be added by LEANING on the "irre" as one more syllable to enunciate with feeling.......however incorrectly.

Take the root and the prefix and suffix, and the word is not only a double negative (and therefore not a word) but it's meaning is THE POLAR OPPOSITE of what said deuchebag means.

PHUCK EM.

They are wrong, and I appreciate them parading their igorance so obviously, so that I may avoid wasting any further time on discussion with them.

*"Where the HELL is my linguistical snob membership card?"*

One can decipher the name of some unfamiliar words, by breaking them down into the presumed root word, and definable prefixes and suffixes.

"Irregardless" is the epitomy of deuchebaggery for me. The WRONG prefix (irre) added to the word (in my past experiences) purely so more emphasis can be added by LEANING on the "irre" as one more syllable to enunciate with feeling.......however incorrectly.

Take the root and the prefix and suffix, and the word is not only a double negative (and therefore not a word) but it's meaning is THE POLAR OPPOSITE of what said deuchebag means.

PHUCK EM.

They are wrong, and I appreciate them parading their igorance so obviously, so that I may avoid wasting any further time on discussion with them.

*"Where the HELL is my linguistical snob membership card?"*

There's more than a handful of irony there. :D

To the OP:

Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate.

This sentence construction implies that there are rhetorical disfluencies that you associate with other emotions otherwise you would have said, "I hate rhetorical disfluencies."

It may be indifference, or perhaps even love that you feel for rhetorical disfluencies. So which ones do you love? Or are you guilty of a rhetorical disfluency?

Zing!!!!!!!!!

Direct HIT!!!!

Unless......I love to hear some RDs so that I can begin a rant on linguistical correctness....so do I LOVE them?

Would my life be less interesting without them???

Alas, I am NOT the OP.

To the OP:

This sentence construction implies that there are rhetorical disfluencies that you associate with other emotions otherwise you would have said, "I hate rhetorical disfluencies."

It may be indifference, or perhaps even love that you feel for rhetorical disfluencies. So which ones do you love? Or are you guilty of a rhetorical disfluency?

Ah, I see what you did there...

Kind of like all jeeps are vehicles, but not all vehicles are jeeps?

To the OP:

That's lame.

"LAME" is a little harsh.

The title of the thread implied to me that there were particular RDs that the OP disliked in particular, while others were bad, but not hated.

olllllllo was nonetheless clever in his spotting a chink in the armor, however small.

It was good for a laugh, which is more than can be said of most posts.

should of
would of
could of
ergo (a friend of mine uses that incessantly -- well almost and he's over yonder and not a smidgen away)

"LAME" is a little harsh.

The title of the thread implied to me that there were particular RDs that the OP disliked in particular, while others were bad, but not hated.

olllllllo was nonetheless clever in his spotting a chink in the armor, however small.

It was good for a laugh, which is more than can be said of most posts.

The more I think about it, the more I think the OP's title makes better sense than olllllllo's revised version. The world (and internet) around us is awash in grammatical errors, most slide off our backs unnoticed, some we are guilty of ourselves -- but a few drive each of us ape-$hit. That is framed pretty well in the OP's wording.

Back