Reprime for a bottle after kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
I made 2 batches of PM before I went AG and kegged them. They were carbed at 12 PSI at around 40F. I didn't care for either and was anxious to get my AG on tap so moved them out thinking I'd re-add them later but never have.

I'm giving the beer to my co-worker would like them but he'll have to bottle knowing they aren't fresh (6 months old) and pre carbed. I suggested he transfer the beer to his bottling bucket then bottle as normal.

My question is, should he add priming sugar and how much? #1 rule, no bottle bombs. He likes his beer undercarbed. The kegs have been stored in my basement (68F down to 58F lately) and I didn't bleed any of the CO2 out so it's possible they are still 100% carbed, I don't know.

Any advice on this?

I would look into the "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" counter-pressure filler. It's very cheap to make, and easy to use.

I'm afraid that adding more priming sugar to a beer of unknown co2 pressure will create bottle bombs. Plus, if you fill bottles with the BMBF (Biermuncher Bottle Filler), he can start enjoying those crappy beers right away!

I would look into the "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" counter-pressure filler. It's very cheap to make, and easy to use.

I agree, the beer should still be fully carbed, just push a racking cane tube into a picnic tap, set co2 at 2-3lbs and bottle away.

I do have that but a) I don't want to chill and recarb, and b) doing it that way takes a while vs. having my co-worker actually do the bottling.

If that is the recommended method I could do that this weekend as I do have the equip, just have to disconnect another keg and swap that in and let it chill.

Thanks for the feedback.

I do have that but a) I don't want to chill and recarb, and b) doing it that way takes a while vs. having my co-worker actually do the bottling.

If that is the recommended method I could do that this weekend as I do have the equip, just have to disconnect another keg and swap that in and let it chill.

Thanks for the feedback.

You don't have to do either a or b. Chilling it woul help but it's not totally necessary. If was carbed, it's still carbed. Beer sitting around conditioning doesn't uncarb itself. Put your buddy to work filling bottles, after all it's free beer. It won't take any more than 30-45 minutes tops.

Thanks for the feedback.

If it's not carbed now, then you could certainly just add priming sugar to the keg, mix well, and then use the CO2 to push the beer into the bottles, like normal bottling.

Actually, I wonder if the yeast are still good though... might want to make a starter and add that to the keg as well, just to be sure.

The yest probably isn't viable. I'll just throw it back in the keggerator, hook it up to the CO2 and bottle it one week later using the "we don't need no stinking beer gun" setup that I have.

:tank:

Latest posts

Back