Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I know in the past I have seen questions regarding clear bottles instead of the brown ones that are typically used. But, are clear really that bad? I have 12 swing top bottles that my wife gave me for Xmas a few years ago that I was thinking of using as they are just taking space in my closet. They are 16oz bottles so I am also wondering how many sugar tablets should I use to carb it if I choose to use them? Any input is welcome, good or bad.

First problem is that you'd have to keep your beer in the dark or it will get skunked. Commercial brewers that use clear bottles (e.g., Miller High Life) use special hopping methods so the beer isn't susceptible to light damage. Also, make sure those swing top bottles are actually made to hold pressure. I have a handful of clear swing tops that we've accumulated over the years, but I don't use them for beer because they originally contained non-carbonated liquids (e.g., oil, vinegar, cooking wine). Finally, what kind of sugar tablets? Carbonation drops, domino dots, etc?

First problem is that you'd have to keep your beer in the dark or it will get skunked. Commercial brewers that use clear bottles (e.g., Miller High Life) use special hopping methods so the beer isn't susceptible to light damage. Also, make sure those swing top bottles are actually made to hold pressure. I have a handful of clear swing tops that we've accumulated over the years, but I don't use them for beer because they originally contained non-carbonated liquids (e.g., oil, vinegar, cooking wine). Finally, what kind of sugar tablets? Carbonation drops, domino dots, etc?
I am using carb drops from Coopers I get off Amazon. Usually I use one drop per 12oz bottle and it seems good. I guess I can use the bottles for Seltzer as my mom likes the one I made and I was thinking of making her some more.

Isn't seltzer even more highly carbonated than beer? If you're happy with one drop per 12 oz bottle, then I guess you should use 1.25 1.33 drops per 16 oz bottle, right? Having to cut up the drops kinda defeats the whole convenience factor though.

Isn't seltzer even more highly carbonated than beer? If you're happy with one drop per 12 oz bottle, then I guess you should use 1.25 drops per 16 oz bottle, right? Having to cut up the drops kinda defeats the whole convenience factor though.
Not sure about the carb levels, just threw it out there to see what people would say. And yes, you are right, those things are a pain in the tail end to cut. LOL

Cool. In looking at the link it appears that it is super easy to just do each bottle. I am wondering if there is a weight to go by instead of hoping that the 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon is accurate? I will give this method a try after a burn thru the 2 bags of sugar drops I have. They have worked out pretty well, but if I can do it with stuff already on hand that makes it so much easier Thank you for the info.

Edit: Quick on line search shows me about 2 grams for a half teaspoon of sugar. Gonna try it out and see.

Weighing the dose for each bottle will really slow you down. If you don't trust your measuring spoons, weigh the whole amount of sugar for the batch, dissolve it in water, boil briefly, let it cool, and dose each bottle with a sanitized syringe. One cup of table sugar dissolved in one cup of water should give you a final volume of about 12 1/2 ounces at a concentration of 0.64 grams/ml.

I generally keg but when I do bottle I don't weigh the sugar, I just use my wife's measuring spoons. I've never checked them for accuracy but the beers always come out perfectly carbonated. I doubt 1 or 2% hell, even 5% is going to make a big enough difference to really matter. Be as accurate as you can without making a project out of it and it'll turn out just fine.

plus one on the measuring spoons they work fine. i used to use them very consistantly and yes dont weigh the sugar its not needed. also you will find that it takes trial and error to get the righ amoutn of sugar to carb the beer the way you want it. i found that for my light lagers which i like super carbed i would add 1 and half teaspoons per 500 ml about 50 percent more then reccomeneded. ymmv

this table from mr beer was very helpful when i used to bottle

1701987294732.png

but like i said it takes trial and error

you will need to keep them in the dark which is not that hard but mac is right not all swing tops are made for pressure. i found that out the hard way with a lot of flat beer. lol

you will need to keep them in the dark
THIS!

I was really surprised this past summer when I noticed one of my IPAs had started picking up some skunk after only probably ten minutes. I hadn't noticed that I'd set it down in a spot where strong sunlight was hitting it. (I was brewing in the garage at the time, and *I* was out of the sun, but my beer wasn't.)

I mean, I had no idea that a beer could get skunked that fast!

yes i have heard beer can skunk very fast

30 seconds of exposure in clear glass bottles is more than enough time to get skunky.
from craig stein beverage

How Long Does It Take for Beer to Go Skunk?

The speed at which beer goes skunked depends on various factors, including the intensity of light exposure and the beer’s hop content. In some cases, a beer could become skunked in just a matter of minutes if exposed to strong UV light.

from beer chroncile.com

Isn't seltzer even more highly carbonated than beer? If you're happy with one drop per 12 oz bottle, then I guess you should use 1.25 1.33 drops per 16 oz bottle, right? Having to cut up the drops kinda defeats the whole convenience factor though.
Just dilute the stuff with 2/3 additional water and use two drops!

yes i have heard beer can skunk very fast

30 seconds of exposure in clear glass bottles is more than enough time to get skunky.
from craig stein beverage

How Long Does It Take for Beer to Go Skunk?

The speed at which beer goes skunked depends on various factors, including the intensity of light exposure and the beer’s hop content. In some cases, a beer could become skunked in just a matter of minutes if exposed to strong UV light.

from beer chroncile.com
Homebrew myth, I bottle in clear bottles occasionally and have never had a problem. However I could be persuaded that living in Northern Britain we don’t have much sun, or it could be we don’t have skunks.

plus one on the measuring spoons they work fine. i used to use them very consistantly and yes dont weigh the sugar its not needed. also you will find that it takes trial and error to get the righ amoutn of sugar to carb the beer the way you want it. i found that for my light lagers which i like super carbed i would add 1 and half teaspoons per 500 ml about 50 percent more then reccomeneded. ymmv

this table from mr beer was very helpful when i used to bottle

View attachment 835967

but like i said it takes trial and error

you will need to keep them in the dark which is not that hard but mac is right not all swing tops are made for pressure. i found that out the hard way with a lot of flat beer. lol
I've been dissolving the sugar in the whole batch first to bottle carbonate my hard cider. This sounds easier.

Do you need to do anything to mix the sugar into the beer/cider, or just dump it in the empty bottles before bottling?

Homebrew myth, I bottle in clear bottles occasionally and have never had a problem. However I could be persuaded that living in Northern Britain we don’t have much sun, or it could be we don’t have skunks.
Northern Britain, man....

I can't walk outside here with a glass of homebrew without tasting skunk inside thirty seconds.

Back