Replacing liquid lines in this tap tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nestler

Reaction score
I have a tap tower with some pretty old liquid lines that I would like to replace. The trouble is that I do not know how to disconnect and reconnect the pieces that I see inside of the tower. In particular I don't understand what is connecting the hose to the metal portion.

The other trouble is that I have very little room to use any kind of tool inside of the tower. If I disconnected the faucet would this get any easier? Maybe something could be pulled out of the tower for easier access.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1404187824400.jpg

Looks like a cap of some kind rather than an oetiker or worm clamp. At any rate, get a tower wrench and unscrew the brass hex nut so you can disconnect the whole shank assembly and pull it through. I have a cheap one like this but they do make nicer ones.

Ya that is different...

But to get the nut off the shank, I used vise with needle nose plyers. It took a little big to loosen it enough to work. But it wasn't bad.

That tool posted above is too big for your tower. It won't fit between the two shanks.

You can convert a wrench with a dremel for something that should work better.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/changing-beer-lines-ss-draft-tower-161476/

Use a wrench like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/sae-double-end-flare-nut-wrench-set-5-pc-68865.html

To remove the hoses from the faucet, then hold the faucet with your hands, and use a box end wrench on the brass nut, should you wish to pull the faucet from the tower.

Lines only?
Use the "line wrench" or flare fitting wrench as shown,hold the faucet, and back it out.

EDIT:
The hose to the "metal portion" appears to be a crimped on fitting, like on hydraulic hoses or automotive A/C lines, just not as "beefy" as those.

Back