Loose tower, metal to metal connection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewhal

Reaction score
I recently bought a used kegerator, when I assembled it I realized the bottom washer part of the beer tower is a separate piece from the main "tower" and whenever I pull on the tap the entire tower comes loose from the base.

Is there a way for me to "glue" the metals together? What would you guys suggest?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-31 090351.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-31 090351.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 0
The tower shouldn't be loose at the collar. Either you got a cheap China product or you may have a manufacturing defect. I'd be curious to see pics of your actual installation before suggesting you contact the seller for a replacement.

Unfortunately this is a used kegerator bought from facebook marketplace. There's no warranty on any parts.
I am thinking maybe taking it to a welder or just epoxy glue it together

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_092431.jpg
    IMG_20230331_092431.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_092436.jpg
    IMG_20230331_092436.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_092441.jpg
    IMG_20230331_092441.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
but I will try the epoxy route and update on the result
I see a few small holes on the very bottom of the tower. Could there have been screws that secures it to the brass mounting flange?

I've never had much luck with epoxy on mountings exposed to stress. The tall tower exerts much force on that 1/2" high flange.
You could put short and small bolts through it, perhaps after filling the void with epoxy for extra stabilization? Just a thought.

i'm with @IslandLizard on this one. looks like there are holes for set screws to lock the cylinder in place. you could try and punch through on the brass to make a through-hole and then use tiny nut+bolts to hold it. maybe with some jb weld for extra grip.

but i wouldnt use just a glue/epoxy on its own. its needs some sort of mechanical solution, or welding, to be solid. maybe you could clean up the metal on the cylinder, clean up the brass, and just do a regular solder? theres a lot of surface area there to fill with solder and get a nice tight connection.

appears to have been press fit and crimped.

depending on what kinda metal the tower and base are, you might try brazing or solder.

Or just JB weld it and call it good.

The diameter of my tower is an unfortunate 2.5", I think I will go with the JB weld option after looking up videos on how well JB weld works

Latest posts

Back