Repitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
I captured yeast from my new chronical, put it on the fridge, now do I just pour off the beer and dump the rest into my new batch or do I separate the yeast further? (Everything was sanitized prior to capturing the yeast.)

Attachments

• 15876510373787636693199942712412.jpg
    15876510373787636693199942712412.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 35
Store it under the beer just as shown in the photo, but pour off the beer before pitching.

You might not need the full volume if you're looking to save money on future batches. Mr. Malty has a repitch calculator. You may only need 100-200ml depending what you're brewing.

As above, pour off the beer, give it a swirl and pitch about 200ml for a standard 5 gallon a 1.050 batch. If the yeast has been stored for a few weeks, a small starter isn't a bad idea.

My rule of thumb:
- Yeast slurry contains 1B cells/ml (conservatively).
- A 5 gallon 1.050 batch requires 200B cells.
- Stored slurry loses ~15% viability per month, levelling out and stabilizing at ~50% in 3-4 months.

Did you filter out the trub and hop debris before pouring the wort into your fermentation vessel? If you did not, then you will need to double the volumes given above for yeast slurry.

Did you filter out the trub and hop debris before pouring the wort into your fermentation vessel? If you did not, then you will need to double the volumes given above for yeast slurry.
I pitch the slurry as is, no filter. I usually use slurry in similar brew batches thus I am not sensitive to the carry over hop content.

Back