Repitching slurry from lower gravity Dubbel to Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Dubbel tomorrow and will use a single, 200ml fresh pouch of Imperial B48 (Triple Double), no starter. The Dubbel will be an estimated 1.066 OG, and 1.25# of those fermentables will be coming from candisyrup and table sugar.

I want to reuse the slurry in a BDSA/Quad once this one wraps up.

I know repitching slurry from higher OG beers is a nono, but since this will be the first repitch since introducing the manufacturer's culture, and since there's 1.25# of highly fermentable (easy) adjuncts, I'm wondering if saving the slurry and using an appropriate amount for a 1.075 tripel and a 1.080-1.085 BDSA/Quad would be reasonable? When I back out the syrup and sugar of the dubbel, I'm looking at an OG of 1.057 of the harder-to-ferment grist.

I know the ABV of the yeast's environment is another variable to consider, and this yeast/grist combo should attenuate pretty far and take the beer up to the 7-7.5% ABV range. I also know that some abbeys and Trappist breweries repitch yeast from high OG beers into even higher OG beers... but I admittedly don't have their equipment or lab-like conditions :p

What do you think? Reasonable to repitch 1.066 slurry into bigger beers in this case?

I know the ABV of the yeast's environment is another variable to consider, and this yeast/grist combo should attenuate pretty far and take the beer up to the 7-7.5% ABV range. I also know that some abbeys and Trappist breweries repitch yeast from high OG beers into even higher OG beers...
You’re on the right track, build up a large, healthy amount of yeast for your quad. I’d save a quart of the slurry for a yeast bank and dump the rest into the quad.

Cool, thanks everyone.

Looking forward to this series. Last time I tried to brew the full trappist series, I had an infection that just kept carrying its way into each successive beer--I didn't catch it until it was way too late. It was disheartening to throw away about 20 gallons' worth of highly anticipated beers, but I've got the sanitation issue licked now, and have replaced my fermzillas with stainless fermenters, set up a glycol chiller, and basically eliminated all of the weak points in my process. Very excited to give it a proper go this time.

Back