Removing labels on bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtoggs

Reaction score
Since I'm cheap, I decided to recycle old Harpoon IPA bottles for my first batch instead of buying them online. Anyone have good tips on removing the labels?

They've been soaking in soapy water for the past 24 hours, but still leaves a little residue after I peel them back. I have GooGone on the way that should help a bit.

Try to peel a bit if the label before you soak it this will get the actual paper wet, and not just the outer part. Sometimes I need to use a razor, must just get a quick scrub with a wet dish scrubber. Supper tough ones go in the garbage. Nice thing is you only have to take them off once.

Edit - I would not use Goof off. I'd be afraid it would get in the bottle and cause problems. Others may disagree.

Vegetable oil can do a decent job of getting rid of residual stickiness. I can't speak to Harpoon bottles, but some bottles are not worth the effort (looking at you, Goose Island).

I use a generic brand of OxiClean that I found at a Dollar Store. Works really good, not to mention it only costs a dollar.

Vegetable oil can do a decent job of getting rid of residual stickiness. I can't speak to Harpoon bottles, but some bottles are not worth the effort (looking at you, Goose Island).

I second Oxy Clean (unscented, preferably). I cannot attest to whether it works better than regular dish soap, only that it works very well. Most labels come off with ease after about 30 min in warm water. If I leave for a few hours, the labels are usually floating in the water when I come back, and I can't even tell which bottles they belonged to (that is, the gunk on the bottles has also disappeared).

I also second that the ease with which labels come off varies considerably from brewery to brewery. As a matter of fact, since bottles are plentiful I don't even bother with the ones that I know are a PITA (and I've only encountered a couple).

some widely distributed ones that come to mind that are easy:
-sam adams
-dogfish head
-anchor

To get the sticky stuff off, I use 'Duck Brand Adhesive Remover' https://www.amazon.com/Duck-527263-Adhesive-Remover-5-45-Ounce/dp/B00178MNVS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1502736852&sr=8-5
I think it is pretty much the same as Goo Gone.
It works pretty well.

The downside is you then have to scrub the bottle some more to get the oil from the adhesive remover off.
I generally scrub the outside of the bottle a bit with dish soap and water.
Then I throw the bottles in the dishwasher (without detergent), and they come out squeaky clean.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
the labels that don't come off with water.... or rather the bottles that have glue that doesn't dissolve in water comes off in about 5 seconds when wiped with a paper napkin soaked in 99% rubbing alcohol or Acetone. whichever you have handy ;)

J.

A lot of good stuff for next time. If you only have soapy water & a scraper, don’t get Harpoon IPAs. 30 bottles took me close to two hours...

it's worst part of brewing for me - but once it's done it's done

I use some brewpaks bottle cleaner which gets most off - some peal off but leave a sticky residue - that comes off with Brasso

once they are cleaned up I rinse as soon as I use them - then next time they just need a quick starsan dip to re-use

oxy clean for a soak, then a scouring pad. If that doesn't work, throw bottle at wall and try another bottle

^What Roycebarrow said. Don't bother with the overly difficult ones. I'm saving those fairly odd bottles for gifting. I keep the nice ones to reuse. The gifters can just toss the weird ones with the residue/irritating labels on them. Call me lazy, but it's still filled with tasty homebrew.

Having that said, there are some nice flip top bottles, which have difficult labels such as vodka 360 bottles. They IMHO are worth the trouble. >Thread<

Latest posts

Back