Regulator issue/question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescole

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been trolling for a while, while starting my first few batches, and have gotten a ton of great info, so thank you everyone!!

So right off I went a bit nuts and got a keg system with three corny's and the whole gambit and have kegged my first brew. It is coming along nicely, but the regulator seems to be screwed up because I set it on 12psi and it creeps up to 30 PSI within an hour. Since I am a noob I can't figure it out. Is it leaking?? I cannot find this topic anywhere, so I apologize if I am bringing up something that has been discussed already.

Thanks!!
This place rocks by the way. The best info on the web hands down.

A bit of info on the set up: It is a single regulator with two lines for gas in and a simple valve set up to turn the lines on and off. The kegs are holding pressure, but the regulator keeps creeping up

is your co2 cylinder open all the way? does it do this consistently or just one time? does it level off at that pressure or does it continue to climb?

is your co2 cylinder open all the way? does it do this consistently or just one time? does it level off at that pressure or does it continue to climb?

Yes the cylinder is open all the way and it doesn't seem to top off at a certain number, but consistently creeps up. I just took it off unscrewed the regulators adjustment screw all the way and put it on 9psi to see if it will creep up and remain at a certain number, but from the past few times it seems to just keep going.

Normally you adjust regulators on the rise. I had the same creep problem with my first primary reg. I started adjusting on the fall and it seemed to work.

So pretty much just open it slightly and see where it lands then step it back gradually until it is where I want it? This is really way off though. It went from 9psi to 28psi in less than an hour. That was after the reset. maybe I just got a garbage regulator?

that behavior is not normal. it doesn't mean that the unit is unfixable, but if you can return it, I would. Otherwise, open it up and make sure the diaphragm, needle valve thingy, and lip seal are lubed so they seal properly (you'll see what I mean when you open it up). a regulator is designed so that, in theory, the higher the output pressure gets, the tighter it seals off the input pressure. where the balance lies depends on how much tension your adjust screw applies to the assembly. if the pressure keeps increasing and never equalizes, it implies there's a leak path between the high and low.

You should normally see the pressure continue to rise for several seconds, but only very slightly and briefly.

that behavior is not normal. it doesn't mean that the unit is unfixable, but if you can return it, I would. Otherwise, open it up and make sure the diaphragm, needle valve thingy, and lip seal are lubed so they seal properly (you'll see what I mean when you open it up). a regulator is designed so that, in theory, the higher the output pressure gets, the tighter it seals off the input pressure. where the balance lies depends on how much tension your adjust screw applies to the assembly. if the pressure keeps increasing and never equalizes, it implies there's a leak path between the high and low.

You should normally see the pressure continue to rise for several seconds, but only very slightly and briefly.

Yea I checked all the seals and there has to be a leak between the CO2 tank, which is not a five pound tank, but a 20oz paintball style tank, and the pressure release screw that adjusts the PSI. I backed it out all the way and it still continued to leak into the regulator and it went from zero to 12psi in under 15 minutes. I am going to return it and go with the higher end regulator system with the 5lb tank. The thing is I didn't even buy the smaller one to save money just space in my fridge. Very frustrating.

**EDIT** The face plate came cracked on the regulator, but it was the second one I received so I figured it would be useable regardless, but now that I am thinking about it that would be a cause of this would it not? It is a small crack in the glass/plastic, which I believe would cause leaking issues in the system overall correct? I have since emailed the company and asked them to upgrade me to their best regulator and I will swap and pay the difference. Any input on the broken faceplate would be helpful though.

Back