Regulator is automatically maxxing out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
I have a double dual gauge regulator that's been working fine for around a year. Today I kegged a beer and was cranking the pressure to 30 psi to seal the lid, when the needle just kept on going all the way to the max (60 psi). Once it hit the max, a hissing sound emerged. I turned the tank off and released pressure using the blow-off thingie attached to the regulator, which turned the pressure to zero, but as soon as I let off it the needle climbed back to 60 psi and started hissing again. I kept releasing the pressure until I finally had both gauges back to zero, and turned the adjuster dials on both regulators all the way out. Under normal conditions, if I turned the Co2 back on at the tank, the needles would remain at zero. However, this one regulator proceeded to crank right back up to 60 psi and start hissing again. It's as if the adjuster on the regulator is stuck at max open. Is there something I can do to fix this problem, or am I in the market for a new regulator? Thanks!

Well I have since removed my Co2 tank + regulators from the fridge. Now it's doing the same thing, only the climb up is much slower. So I can turn on the gas and it will creep from up maybe 10 psi every 10 seconds vs an instant slam to 60 psi. I found another thread referencing Midwest regulators, which is where I bought mine, and someone mentioned cold temperatures causing the diaphram to stay open. I can see the reasoning there, but I have no idea how to even start going about fixing that :eek:. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back