Regulator doesn't read zero

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choven1218

Reaction score
I tracked an infection to beer that backed up into my gas line. I disconnected the line and beer didn't seem to have made it past the check valve. While the lines were off, I noticed that my regulators do not register zero. I have a two line dual reg, and both gauges that lead to my gas in QD will not drop to zero when the CO2 valve is turned off and pressure bled from the system. My secondaries will drop to zero when I do this. Could the insides be gummed up and need cleaning? I don't want to try disassembling the regulators if I don't have to do it. Thanks.

Choven

Obviously none of us know if there was a pre-existing condition, but if you're certain the low pressure gauge used to zero - and that when you're checking it now you truly have all the pressure down-stream bled off - then there is a chance the gauge got gunked.

But the gauge could only get gunked after the guts of the reg got gunked. So, unscrew the gauge and check the end of the threaded riser to see if you can detect any dried beer. If you do, you probably should tear down the reg and clean it...

Cheers!

I disassembled the reg, but all seemed clean. I then opened the gauge. It seems that the copper "coil-like" piece is warped, thus resulting in a "zero" reading of about 4 psi. I'm not worries about this because I use this line to seal and carb kegs prior to serving. I normally carb low and bring to proper levels once moved to the secodary regs. I have no idea how these things can get messed up.

I disassembled the air line to see how far the beer traveled. It gunked up the swivel barb that attaches to the QD, and went all the way to the ball valve/check valve combo. Buf, it looks like the check valve did its job and kept beer out of the reg.

One mord question. I disassembled the two piece ball valve to clean it. There was some hard white gunk on the threads. Is this pipe thread compound? I was under the impression that pipe thread compound remained soft and pastey. Thanks.

It's likely some kind of pipe dope. The manifolds I've purchased had a reddish compound that dried hard, so at least some kinds don't stay pliable...

Cheers!

Back