Regulator question about leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmacd16

Reaction score
I have a dual regulator with only 1 keg hooked up at the moment. The unused gauge is at zero. Would this be leaking at all or would I need to do anything?

I have a dual regulator with only 1 keg hooked up at the moment. The unused gauge is at zero. Would this be leaking at all or would I need to do anything?
I'm assuming it's closed in which case no it shouldn't be. Not familiar with the exact regulator you are using so not sure if there is shutoff or if you just close the regulating valve, but if either are closed it shouldn't be leaking.

If the non attached regulating valve was open (set to something > 0 psi) and it wasn't hooked up to anything while the other side is open and connected to a keg then yes it would be leaking, but it would be leaking a lot. You would hear it and your tank wouldn't last long.

Also that said every regulating valve leaks a bit. I doubt a significant amount, but you could put a cap on the unused side if you wanted to.

I'm assuming it's closed in which case no it shouldn't be. Not familiar with the exact regulator you are using so not sure if there is shutoff or if you just close the regulating valve, but if either are closed it shouldn't be leaking.

If the non attached regulating valve was open (set to something > 0 psi) and it wasn't hooked up to anything while the other side is open and connected to a keg then yes it would be leaking, but it would be leaking a lot. You would hear it and your tank wouldn't last long.

Also that said every regulating valve leaks a bit. I doubt a significant amount, but you could put a cap on the unused side if you wanted to.
Thank you, this is how I have it right now

Attachments

• IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
That looks more like two separate single regulators than a dual regulator. The smaller tank on the left is that air line hooked up to anything? Is the regulator knob turned all the way closed?

If that air line isn't connected to a keg I would just shut that tank off with the main shut off until it is needed.

That looks more like two separate single regulators than a dual regulator. The smaller tank on the left is that air line hooked up to anything? Is the regulator knob turned all the way closed?

If that air line isn't connected to a keg I would just shut that tank off with the main shut off until it is needed.
Sorry very bad pic, this is the regulator and that small bottle is not hooked up to anything

Attachments

• IMG_9319.png
    IMG_9319.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have something similar, do you have quick disconnects at the end of the lines? If so, you'll be fine even if you had a bit of pressure in there.

I have something similar, do you have quick disconnects at the end of the lines? If so, you'll be fine even if you had a bit of pressure in there.
Yes I have the Duotight fitting on the other end I leave on all the time.

Sorry very bad pic, this is the regulator and that small bottle is not hooked up to anything
That’s funny how well that pipe connection lined up with the basket on the floor. I don’t think you could have lined that up better with that and the second tank if you tried

As long as the second knob is turned all the way in you should be fine. Note the Duotight isn’t really a quick disconnect it’s an open fitting and isn’t stopping anything.

The best way to make sure you're not leaking at all is to set both regs to exactly 20psi, leave the far end QDs disconnected from any kegs and then close the tank valve. Wait about 15 minutes and observe if the pressure drops below 20psi on either gauge.

We are talking about the regulator on the small bottle aren't we? You say it's not hooked up to anything? Then assuming the bottles valve is off, why is it showing 700 psi? But if you've opened the valve, then the other gauge is the one that shows you how much pressure is being regulated. Currently it shows zilch, but I wouldn't assume it's not leaking a miniscule amount that won't show on the gauge. So turn the tank valve off if you aren't using it.

If you had opened the bottle valve and then closed it, and the gauge showing nothing did have a reading, then you do have a leak downstream of that gauge. Which is understandable if it is not connected to anything and is not closed or plugged by some other fitting we can't see.

If the bottle valve is closed and the regulator knob is close so it doesn't regulate any pressure, then your tank valve might be leaking. Open the regulator and let that the tank pressure gauge zero, then close the regulator adjustment. If the tank valve starts showing pressure again, then the tank valve is in fact leaking.

Last edited:
We are talking about the regulator on the small bottle aren't we? You say it's not hooked up to anything?

We already went through that confusion. The small bottle is in the picture but not hooked to any regulator. That's a double reg attached to the tank on the right and the coupling nipple between the two regs is hidden by optical illusion.

Latest posts

Back