Reducing esters in fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojotele

Reaction score
The issue may be somewhat more complex than this, but here it goes:

I currently have a Wee Heavy fermenting in my primary. Since the style states that esters should be low, I've kept the temperature down. I would say the temperature has averaged approximately 66 degrees F. I also made sure to pitch an appropriate amount of yeast and pump a good amount of oxygen in my wort, both factors which seem to affect ester production.

The krausen is starting to fall in, and I'm wondering at what point I can pull it out of my fermentation fridge and just let it sit at room temperature without much ester production. From searching around, it seems that esters are produced mainly during active fermentation. That seems to indicate that I might be able to warm it up whenever the beer has reached its FG. Is that correct?

A big thanks ahead of time for any advice you guys can provide! :mug:

EDIT: I'm using WLP028 yeast, if that helps.

The old rule, reduceing tempature reduces esters. Pacients must be cultivated. I would wait about 50% of primary time and get my tempature close to 64 degrees.

I've been ramping up my ales after about a week. My ales have been fermenting around 65 and when things slow down I'll ramp up to 70 for a couple days.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm in no rush as I'm keeping this brew in the primary for at least four weeks. Tomorrow will be the one week mark, so I'll probably keep the temperature down for another week just to be sure then make room in my fermentation fridge for the next brew.

Back