Redeem a beer with dry-hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
I have a corny of ordinary bitter that is slated to go to a party on the 17th. It was brewed on 9/20 and racked to the keg on 10/1 -- 11 days in the primary. Maybe a bit earlier than I should have moved it off the yeast cake, but I wanted to use the yeast (white labs london ale) in a new batch.

I think there may be a problem with it. It doesn't taste quite right. A buddy who has a much better palate than I tasted it yesterday and thought it might have a buttery taste. Though I already suspected a diacetyl problem and asked him about it right off so suggestion might have played a factor. I haven't fridged it yet and have added back some of the yeast in the hope that it will go through a diacetyl rest, if that is in fact the problem.

The issue could be more fundamental. This recipe was something of an experiment a pale malt/EKG smash. I did a single decoction (my first) to try and get some color and caramel notes in the beer. Maybe its just that this wasn't successful and the problem is that it's a 100% base malt beer.

I'm wondering if I can cover up (or at least partially cover up) the flaws with a nice strong dose of dry hops. I'm thinking 1/2 oz each of EKG, Cascade and Columbus (3 I already have open packages of).

Thoughts? Anything else I should be thinking about like fruit?

By the way, I didn't end up re-using the yeast for the next batch, on the off chance that there was a contamination problem.

The diacetyl (butter flavor) comes from racking the brew off of the yeast too soon. You didn't give it enough time to clean up off flavors. This is one reason why most brewers leave the brew in the primary for 2 weeks minimum.

Open up the fementer/keg and add a teaspoon of yeast and let it sit for 1 week at room temp and I'll bet it will clear up.

In about 4 days add the hops in a hop sack and I'm sure it will be ready for your party. It may not be as carbonated as you would like, but it will be drinkable without any diacetyl.

Thanks for the tips. I proceeded as suggested, added more yeast and more dry hops. A couple days ago I put the keg in the cooler and last night I racked to a fresh keg (was pulling lots of hop matter to the tap).

The verdict? Well, it's better, but still not good. The butter is gone, but there is still a basic off flavor. In addition, while there is some nice new hop character and even a bit more perceived bitterness, it seems like I did extract a few grassy notes -- pretty surprising to me considering the dry hops were only in there for about 4 days. I still suspect that there was a fundamental recipe problem (100% pale malt SMaSH)

A buddy invited me to a party/campout this weekend and I volunteered to bring a keg. I guess I will let him taste and decide, but I'm leaning nay. On the one hand, it might get rid of the beer, but can I bring myself to put my worst foot forward?

Fortunately the kegerator is pretty well stocked so there are options. My current thinking is Scottish 60/- or Apfelwein . . . or both! If, as I suspect, the gents broke Scottish (<4% abv) and the ladies went for the Apfelwein (10+), it could become an interesting evening.

Thanks again for the help.

Back