Red X and mandarina Bavaria German IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood522

Reaction score
From the far corners of Germany I have 13 pounds of Best Malz Red-X malt and a half pound of Mandarina bavaria flying in for a 5 gallon batch of German IPA. Gonna ferment at 66 with my house yeast (fermentis 34/70 aka weihenstephaner Lager yeast)
I would love suggestions as to any other malts that would be nice to add as well as mash and hop schedule ideas/recommendations.
FWH, skip the bittering, do all late hops, crazy huge dry hop? Step mash or single?

I also have some herkules coming I could use for bittering.

I have never used either of these ingredients I just let find them
Both intriguing.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions!
-steve

I think all Red X would make an awesome beer on its own! I'd keep it simple and do a single rest at 148-150F to get the beer nice and dry. Using herkules to bitter would be a good idea then do a 15 min addition of Mandarina and another addition at flameout. 2-3 oz of dry hops will be nice in a 5 gallon batch. I hope it turns out great!

Just made a beer with the Mandarina hops and Red X. I mashed the Red X with Golden Promise malt. The wort smelled great and was just the right color. It is still in the fermenter and will be for the next few (10) days.

Yeah I'll need that probe.

If you include the close and not the brackets then what would be the price including shipping?

Back