red foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmahut

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a way to give my beer red foam/head. Any idea how to accomplish that? I would prefer to not use any artificial colorant. I was thinking of maybe hibiscus or rooibos?

I need your ideas! :)

That's a good question. Head color usually follows malt color insomuch as malts used to give color & extra flavor are concerned. But changing head color alone?!....:drunk:

Peppers! Or raspberries. I don't think it's possible with malt alone. Hibiscus may work but its more pink than red.

I drank a cherry melomel that had a pink/red body and thin pink foamy head. I don't know if that helps at all but if your beer was light enough I'm sure it would adopt some of the same properties as mead.

I got a pound of German melanoidin malt to split between to IPA recipes in place of a smaller amount of chocolate malt I used before. It's supposed to give a red color. We'll se what 8ozs does.

Back