Red Flanders into a wet rum barrel??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon rum barrel that I keep wet with a bottle of rum and about 2 gallons of water that I flip from time to time. I was thinking of dumping out the water and replacing it with 5 gallons of a 2 year old red flanders that's been sitting quiet in a fermenter. What do you think?

I have a 5 gallon rum barrel that I keep wet with a bottle of rum and about 2 gallons of water that I flip from time to time. I was thinking of dumping out the water and replacing it with 5 gallons of a 2 year old red flanders that's been sitting quiet in a fermenter. What do you think?

It'll be fine assuming the barrel is still water tight. the flanders is already horribly infected... I mean sour, so it's not like anything that might be growing in the barrel is going to hurt it right?

I am assuming you have already used the barrel for other brews, right? On the chance it is a fresh barrel, I would throw something dark and heavy in there. If it a cashed barrel that you are keeping alive with the rum/water, then I would totally go for it. I would probably dump some boiling water in there to remove a little of the rum heat but that is a personal pfreferance.

Good luck

Go for it. Just be ready to pull it out quickly if its a "fresh" dumped barrel. That's a high surface area to beer contact so it could be pretty boozy I mean rummy in a matter of days.

I'd be concerned with oxygenating the beer transferring it or by storing it in a five gallon barrel. Is the beer not ready to package on it's own at this point?

I'd be concerned with oxygenating the beer transferring it or by storing it in a five gallon barrel. Is the beer not ready to package on it's own at this point?

Flanders red is traditionally a long aged sour beer with a significant acetic presence. ageing in a small barrel is a great way to get there.

However it is worth keeping in mind that the smaller barrel passes o2 alot faster than a larger barrel. I actually coated my 20L barrell with beswax everywhere but the heads to simulate the o2 passage of a larger barrel. something to think about.

If I remebet the chart in wild brews (someone else has my copy) the permeability of a stopper is quite high, you're probably already getting a lot of air exchange just in your fermenter.
Personally, I bet your Flanders tastes fine without the rum. I'd use the rum barrel for a newer, bigger beer.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back