Recommended external temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmedic43

Reaction score
I recently purchased an older chest freezer from craigslist for $35, I know, a steal. Anyway, I cleaned it out today, set the temp on the warmest setting I could, and put my thermometer in a glass of water and 4 hours later the water is frozen solid. I have done some searching and am unable to discover a good place with some pros and cons to different temp controllers. Any help would be great. Thanks y'all:mug:

I have a therma temp and it was used for 5 years before i got it. I have been using it for 6 months with no problems.

I have a single stage Johnson Control A19. It's not that good. It'd spend the extra money and get a better device. I don't like this model b/c the temperature probe coil seems like it can break or kink easily. Also, the dial that sets the temperature is inaccurate. Setting the dial at 60 gives me an ambient temp of about 66-68. It can be annoying trying to dial in the correct temperature.

Personally, I'd go with dual stage controller which allows for cooling using the fridge/freezer and warming using a light, or fermwrap. Even in Florida, the temperature inside my ferm fridge can vary, especially during the winter months when it's cold in the morning and hotter during the day. The dual stage allows you to set it and forget it keeping your beer within a desired temperature range. My fridge is in the garage and is more exposed to temperature swings. Hope this helps.

I use a temp controller that handles both cooling and heating. The link is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d336c5114

It has a set point and you set the hysteresis (range). I built it into a junction box you use to install plugs in a wall. The controller is in one plug hole and a dual plug is in the other. I wired it so 1 plug is cooling and the other is heating. My fridge is plugged into the cooling plug and the lightbulb is plugged into the heating. I set it to whatever temp I want to ferment at. I tape the probe to the side of the carboy covered in bubble wrap. It keeps the beer within a half a degree of the set point. The temp controller is in Celsius but that's fine with me as the controller cost me under $30 to put together.

I'm quite happy with the johnson controls A419. Digital is the way to go. It has not let me down.

Search amazon for "control products dual stage". That will be my next, since I need dual for another application.

I'm quite happy with the johnson controls A419. Digital is the way to go. It has not let me down.

Search amazon for "control products dual stage". That will be my next, since I need dual for another application.

I also really like my Johnson A19, I use it in a minifridge and I think it works great, my temps are aways just about spot on (1-2 degrees). I'm not really concerned about the coil line breaking, as my setup is stationary, but I guess it is kinda flimsy so it depends on how you have your stuff set up. They only run about $50 on amazon.

i use a temp controller that handles both cooling and heating. The link is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mini-digita...188?pt=lh_defaultdomain_0&hash=item5d336c5114

it has a set point and you set the hysteresis (range). I built it into a junction box you use to install plugs in a wall. The controller is in one plug hole and a dual plug is in the other. I wired it so 1 plug is cooling and the other is heating. My fridge is plugged into the cooling plug and the lightbulb is plugged into the heating. I set it to whatever temp i want to ferment at. I tape the probe to the side of the carboy covered in bubble wrap. It keeps the beer within a half a degree of the set point. The temp controller is in celsius but that's fine with me as the controller cost me under $30 to put together.

^^^^^this^^^^^

I also recommend a dual stage. Even if you don't think you need it now, you may use it later. I have a single and dual stage love controller, and they work great.

I'd spend $25 on an ebay aquarium controller. They are dual stage and can be installed directly into the freezer or mount outside. check ebay for an STC-1000. Make sure you buy a 120V version. There are a lot of 220V versions for foreign countries. Some of the sellers automatically send you a 120V version if you are in the US.

You may not need a temp controller that also controls heating, since you are in TX. I'm in FL, and i certainly don't. If you store your chest freezer indoors on a level with central AC/heat, then no need. If you store it outside or in a basement where the ambient temps is going to be under your desired fermentation temp for extended periods of time, then you may need it.

Anyway, I run the Johnson A419 and love it. Just to avoid confusion, this is a completely different unit than the Johnson A19 that is getting bad reviews. The A419 is a solid digital unit while the A19 is a mechanical thermostat.

I got my Johnson A419 for $55.00.

Good luck!

Back