Recommendations for Ferm chamber please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonLT

Reaction score
I want to build a nice fermentation chamber, one that I can completely rely on. I don't want to break the bank, but I can spend some coin. My thoughts are, get a chest freezer, a Ranco, and some type of heat source. I guess my questions are, for you experienced guys, what size chest freezer should I go with to accommodate a minimum of two carboys, possibly three? And what would be the optimal heat source? I have read about the light bulb in the can, etc etc.. I want a "plug-n-play", where I don't have to do any work other than buying the stuff and plugging it all in.

I have been fermenting in a closet in one of the rooms of the house, and I just can't do it more. I want complete control of the temp, just set it and forget it. It's time to move on! All suggestions are welcome, please comment :)

Get the biggest one you can afford/have room for. Next thing you know you'll be carbing kegs in it...

This is true. Get the biggest one you can afford. I got my 14 cubic foot chest freezer (not a big one by any means but cheap) at a Sears scratch and dent outlet for $70 brand new. It had a pretty big scratch on the exterior but since it lives in my garage, it doesn't really matter how pretty or ugly it is.

Yeah, I'm gonna get the biggest one I can afford, but I haven't looked at them yet. What are you guys using for heat sources? I want something I don't have to worry about at all. I just want it all to work! How long are people getting out of the freezers themselves? I have wondered about how the motors hold up since you aren't running them very much because of the warmer than freezing temps and what not. Arrgggghhh, too much to think about! lol

I just had my first batch that I think fermented too high, so I'm really wanting to take charge of the situation now.

14cuft or larger freezer.

Plug and play for temp controller would be a Johnson Controls Digital Thermostat Control Unit.. but it's only does one side (cooling) if you want to control heat with your temp controller.. your going to need something else... the common choice is an STC 1000 control unit and a DIY made box and outlet. The STC 1000 being able to control two circuits , can power and control the heating and cooling. If you dont want to build it yourself, ask a friend to help or pay some to build it for you.

For heat I prefer a silicone heat pad, marketed for reptile tanks.
If you do the "light" in a can method, I'd suggest a ceramic heat emitter in place of the light bulb.

My first Ferm chamber build was from an old 8cuft freezer....holds two buckets ..just.
My second Ferm chamber was built on a 13cuft freezer, holds three buckets with room other supplies and beer , both use an STC 100 controller and heat pads... only in use as ferm chambers about 7 months... but had years of use as a freezer before that.

Back