Recomend Racking equipement ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReDim

Reaction score
I have amazon prime.

I use "Hose and Racking Cane"

I never had a good racking/bottling system. I manage not to spill a substantial quantity like some brewers I know. But I always oxygenate while transferring, and sometimes even sediment gets in. I do not use standard carboys or buckets, so not all options will work. Assume a 5 gal carboy to measure length.

THANK YOU

I have amazon prime.

I do not use standard carboys or buckets, so not all options will work. Assume a 5 gal carboy to measure length.

I am curious of what you use to ferment? Maybe its oxidizing in this container rather than the racking process which is pretty straight froward.

I am curious of what you use to ferment? Maybe its oxidizing in this container rather than the racking process which is pretty straight froward.

i don't taste the effects of oxygenation, I just end up pouring allot that does not rack. At some point my racking system stops because the pressure in the new carboy is greater then fermnter.... anyways, my racking system leaves allot of room for improvement, effort, mess, sanitation... i just need a better tool.

I ferment the first 8 days in brew kettle, i close it with a lid and hang a bunch of towels to filter out any potential dust rack to a 5 gal water bottle with a spigot. My kettle also has a spigot. During the first 8 days I degas using a drill attachment that will add oxygen to any liquid (moving liquid takes oxygen from surface).

Racking/bottling is not an easy process for me, so I am looking for better equipment then what I have.

Right now i have something that I can already bottle. maybe i should get better equipment first though. Looking on amazon for auto-syphon. will need racking kane as well, only I use 1 litter empty, plastic seltzer bottles.

Anyways, using spigots to pur adds allot of oxygen, tubing systems don't always/completely work. Need something with a pump and shut off for bottling.

i don't taste the effects of oxygenation, I just end up pouring allot that does not rack. At some point my racking system stops because the pressure in the view carboy is greater then in carboy.... anyways, my racking system leaves allot of room for improvement, effort, mess, sanitation... i just need a better tool.

I ferment the first 8 days in brew kettle, i close it with a lid and hang a bunch of towels to filter out any potential dust rack to a 5 gal water bottle with a spigot. By kettle also has a spigot.

Racking/bottling is not an easy process for me, so I am looking for better equipment then what I have.

right now i have something that I can already bottle. maybe i should get better equipment first though. Looking on amazon for auto-syphon. will need racking kane as well, only I use 1 litter empty, plastic seltzer bottles.

I would highly suggest getting a bucket to ferment in, I have not seen or heard of anyone fermenting in the boiling kettle before. They are relatively inexpensive 15-20 dollars on amazon but I bet you can even find some cheaper. Also for the longest time I used a regular siphon hose and it was a real pain and could create a mess switching to the auto-siphon was the best thing I have ever done lol. It makes it so easy to get samples to test gravity or to rack the beer, spring for the clip if you are racking by yourself to make things easier. The auto siphon again is only around 10 dollars on Amazon.

I would highly suggest getting a bucket to ferment in, I have not seen or heard of anyone fermenting in the boiling kettle before. They are relatively inexpensive 15-20 dollars on amazon but I bet you can even find some cheaper. Also for the longest time I used a regular siphon hose and it was a real pain and could create a mess switching to the auto-siphon was the best thing I have ever done lol. It makes it so easy to get samples to test gravity or to rack the beer, spring for the clip if you are racking by yourself to make things easier. The auto siphon again is only around 10 dollars on Amazon.

I don't want to deal with foam, that's why a big pot is used. It's semi-open fermentation (lid is on and towels are used to block dust and what not from falling in). During fermentation the pressure is to release gasses and not to absorb, once fermentation is done 5 gallons or so are transferred and sediment is dumped. My current apartment is not that big, so the space i can dedicate to storing brewing supplies is limited. Buckets i don't like because the lid is not that convenient.

I used 5 gal water bottle successfully before. Go to the store and get a Poland Springs 5 gallon jug, pour out a gallon and a half add a gallon of honey) regular rubber stopper (if you need size remind em to look when I am home) and airlock, plug the top works as well as any carboy.

My drill attachment does not fit into that hole and water movement is a problem (racking bottling) . 5 gal fermnter for 5 gal batch, not very practical...

I have 2 carboys like this. The top screws on instead of a bucket lid that is hard to open close. there is already a hole in the top for airlock.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZHHEB6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01

Since I no longer brew beer, my kettle is no longer needed as kettle... to extract malt at different temperatures and boil stuff for hours (it has electronic controls where temperature and time time can be set).

:tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your kettle has a spigot on it, why not just buy a hose, attach it to the spigot, place other end into carboy/bucket, and open the spigot. Just make sure your hose is long enough to go to the bottom of the carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash.

If your kettle has a spigot on it, why not just buy a hose, attach it to the spigot, place other end into carboy/bucket, and open the spigot. Just make sure your hose is long enough to go to the bottom of the carboy/bucket so it doesn't splash.

Yahh, I tried that. I used my raking kane as a hose. When the pressure was low enouph it stopped pouring. So I had to pour off additional 2 litters into a water bottle. That filled those 2 litters with oxygen, and then I poured it to the rest of the mist, oxygenating the whole 9 years. Then i topped it off with additional 2 liters of spring water creating more oxygen, and then I squeezed of some honey. Figuring what ever yeast is there will munch on the honey and consume the oxygen. I am not sure if I used enouph or to much oxygen.

My girlfriend talked me out of adding more fruit. We tasted from the primary and I wanted to add more fruit and she was like "don't" so I added water.....

you can manage to convince me to get this item and hollar off my brew kettle to storage. That might save some space :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RW8UR6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The jug I mentioned earlier was Crystal Spings 5 gal water jug (it has a handle) (crystal-springs.com) and I am using a rubber stopper with inscription 10 and 1/2.

Those are pretty nice and would work well!

I suppose they have been around long enouph with few complaints. I just found out that the opening on the top is just under 5 inches.... I am not sure how I feel about it, need to grab a ruler while at home and think about. Requirements are that hand should fit, for cleaning purposes and should be large enouph for depositing and discarding fruit.

Also I now use a spediel 20L which is great. A few issues it has are:

The drain spigot plug can drip over a long periods of time, not much but keep something there.
People complain about rough spots inside holding germs, mine has none of these I checked prior to purchase
The airlock is a lot larger than typical 99 cent ones. This means bubbles can comee less often than you are accustomed to but the bubbles are actually a lot larger so it evens out. Takes 1 to 2 ferment cycles to adjust your thought train.
Tightening down the o-ring can be annoying on the top as it always feels like it should be tighter or adjusted and the top doesn't fit snug around the edges of the tightening ring, this leads to a slight movement of the top within the tightening ring if it isn't snugged properly

The best thing about this is the absolute easy ability to clean it without stupid special brushes that take forever to get everything out of carboys and demijohns. Just open the top reach in and clean away. I am worried the seals will bust on me but eventually all gaskets to break so this was known going in.

Overall I do highly recommend the spediel. I will eventually buy another and will never use carboys/water bottles again for anything other than final bulk aging as cleaning out fruits, as stated earlier, can be annoying.

Fyi the spigot at the bottom can get clogged if doing fruity meads which is why I still use a cane to rack. I do rack back into the spediel and have made an attachment with a bottle filler so i can just attach it and open the vavle. Then it is just on until all the bottles are filled. This is more work but has worked out really well thus far.

I suppose they have been around long enouph with few complaints. I just found out that the opening on the top is just under 5 inches.... I am not sure how I feel about it, need to grab a ruler while at home and think about. Requirements are that hand should fit, for cleaning purposes and should be large enouph for depositing and discarding fruit.

It depends on the size. The 20L, which I own, I can easily fit my hand down into it. If it helps I wear size XXL working/baseball gloves but can squeeze into XL rubber gloves at doctors offices lol. Or thi k the opening is slightly larger than a cd rom and yay my pinky fignts the inner hole :p

20160112_160416.jpg

Would this be a 'thats what he said' or am I just a gutter head...

This product will arrive tomorrow.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIXXM8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

kombucha meand might be worth a try to brew. But there is no pictures of the other end, i am not sure that it has a bottling attachment or the type of an attachment that will be needed.

will require some sort of a stopper, either a bottling attachment or a back flow guard. maybe both ...

what kind of a bottling attachment does it needs anyway ?

Latest posts

Back