Recirculation totally necessary for mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicahB

Reaction score
Hey all,
After a recent setback on getting a pump for my Ebiab setup, I'm starting to wonder if I really even need a pump. I'm trying to take the K.I.S.S. approach with this build, and am questioning if having a pump is a necessity. I understand recirculating the mash to keep temps even, but I'm wondering if I can't just pour some liquid out of the valve into a pitcher and pour it back into the kettle a couple times during the mash? Is this faulty logic or can I avoid an extra expense/item to clean by taking the pump-less route? Any thoughts or input welcome.

Unless you have RIMS/HERMS recirculating will actually cause you to lose temperature. If you're worried about uneven temperature, just open and stir a couple of times during the mash, but it shouldn't be necessary if your tun is well insulated. One good stir in the beginning and you're done.

Probably not that crucial. If you want to maintain rock solid temperatures, you might have to recirculate, but it's not necessary. I usually just gravity drain and pour back in the top for a few until temps stabilize and then start my rest. Over the course of an hour, you might end up with some temperature stratification. In other words, uneven temps throughout the mash. Not a big deal though unless you're shooting for duplicating recipes exactly the same every time.

I just wondered if there would be issues without constant recirculating because of the direct fire element in the kettle constantly firing to maintain the mash temp(scorching, heat stratification, etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A well-insulated mash tun would replace the need for recirculation, at least as far as keeping temps stable. Recirculation also helps to clarify the sweet wort, so that's the only thing that you would be missing out on.

A well-insulated mash tun would replace the need for recirculation, at least as far as keeping temps stable. Recirculation also helps to clarify the sweet wort, so that's the only thing that you would be missing out on.

Even for BIAB? I thought the clarification was a result of the grain bed acting as a filter when the liquid is passing through it. I would expect that filtering to be for naught in BIAB as typically you pull the bag and squeeze the heck out of it.

I just wondered if there would be issues without constant recirculating because of the direct fire element in the kettle constantly firing to maintain the mash temp(scorching, heat stratification, etc.)

Yes. You will scorch things if your burner is going during the mash and you don't recirculate. Just adding one pump to my 3-tier system was awesome. Vorlaufing was easy and helped to clear up my beer. I could whirlpool during chilling an immersion chiller and speed up the process. After getting some other items in place it was a great use of funds.

Probably not that crucial. If you want to maintain rock solid temperatures, you might have to recirculate, but it's not necessary. I usually just gravity drain and pour back in the top for a few until temps stabilize and then start my rest. Over the course of an hour, you might end up with some temperature stratification. In other words, uneven temps throughout the mash. Not a big deal though unless you're shooting for duplicating recipes exactly the same every time.

Well that answers my question pretty much- repeatability. If I'd be losing that without recirculating then I'd better just invest the expense. I'm trying to keep it simple, but I also want to keep repeatability through my process.

because of the direct fire element in the kettle constantly firing to maintain the mash temp
Yes, that changes everything. If you're adding direct heat in your MLT you either have to recirculate or stir manually while the heat is on.

Heating element below a false bottom?

Even for BIAB? I thought the clarification was a result of the grain bed acting as a filter when the liquid is passing through it. I would expect that filtering to be for naught in BIAB as typically you pull the bag and squeeze the heck out of it.

Sorry, yeah, I didn't see the BIAB thing. Never mind what I said.

A pump is not at all necessary, though they can certainly be convenient and save some lifting during transfers or the need for gravity from one vessel to another they also add expense and complication to a style of brewing popular for it's simplicity.
Repeatability is just that, the temperature in a well insulated mash tun is fairly repeatable.
I'm certainly no expert here but there is so much more to brewing good beer than the production of sweet wort.
People have been brewing great beers for century's without pumps.

A pump is not at all necessary, though they can certainly be convenient and save some lifting during transfers or the need for gravity from one vessel to another they also add expense and complication to a style of brewing popular for it's simplicity.
Repeatability is just that, the temperature in a well insulated mash tun is fairly repeatable.
I'm certainly no expert here but there is so much more to brewing good beer than the production of sweet wort.
People have been brewing great beers for century's without pumps.

All great points! However, I think the concern of scorching while mashing is a fair one. Can I prevent that by simply cycling the wort manually? Even though making sweet wort is only a part of brewing, sweet wort isn't necessarily "burnt wort."

Well, I decided just to incur the expense and go for a pump. It may be another item to clean and maintain but I'd rather avoid any headaches of scorching or temp fluctuations.

Back