Recirculate through Autosparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcrilly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone recirculate their mash through an Autosparge? If so, is the flow rate OK? I can drill another hole and add a port just for recirculation, but if I can just run it through the Autosparge it will save a little work. My concern is that the Autosparge device might restrict the flow too much. Yes, I can try it and find out - but if I'm gonna have to add the extra port anyway it would be a little easier to do it while I'm already working on the kettle! :smack:

Does anyone recirculate their mash through an Autosparge? If so, is the flow rate OK? I can drill another hole and add a port just for recirculation, but if I can just run it through the Autosparge it will save a little work. My concern is that the Autosparge device might restrict the flow too much. Yes, I can try it and find out - but if I'm gonna have to add the extra port anyway it would be a little easier to do it while I'm already working on the kettle! :smack:

I do it all the time, but I leave the float off while mashing so it just stays wide open the whole time. Once I'm ready to sparge, I screw in the float and adjust it for the correct sparge height. Never had any issues with restricted flow.

The only concern I have is if the orifice at the shutoff is small enough to get clogged by a husk or grain. If its big enough to pass a particle that big, then there shouldn't be a problem with using the autosparge.

The only concern I have is if the orifice at the shutoff is small enough to get clogged by a husk or grain. If its big enough to pass a particle that big, then there shouldn't be a problem with using the autosparge.

This.
When I set up my rims I had to alter the my sparge setup. Just make sure those holes are bigger than your grain particles and you should be fine.

I've been circulating the mash liquor through my autosparge for 5-6 years and have never had a clog. I have a domed false bottom in a 10-gal Igloo.

If you use a grant it will largely mitigate the potential issue of husks blocking the autosparge

Just hooked up a flow meter inline before my autosparg before my last brew. Recirculated 1-1.5 gal/min for the entire mash. 2gals/min was the max my march would push through the auto sparge. The flow meter was a little unhappy at first until the wort cleared but the autosparge had no probs.

I have a 15-gallon Blichmann that I circulate through a (floatless) autosparge in 10 or 12-gallon batches. Never had a problem with a clogged orifice.

When I make the rare 5-gallon batch, however, the tubing tends to hang down at an acute angle, pinching off the flow. I have to adjust the float location or just tie it to the top of the kettle...

I had the exact same problem in my 55 gallon with smaller grain bills, lengthend the hose two feet and added two more floats to provide relife of the pinching.

Back