Recipe only calls for 0.5lb of extract, how to minimize waste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleslattery

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'd like to make the "Hoppiness is an IPA" recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, and the extract recipe calls for 9.75lb Light LME and 0.5lb of Munich LME. But, the smallest size I can buy Munich LME in is 3.3lb, and from what I've read, you can't really save unused LME once you open it.

Any thoughts on what I can do? I guess I could always brew another batch of something else right away, but I might not have the time for that. Any chance I could just do some sort of partial mash and use actual grain instead of the Munich malt?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I would do. Partial mash it. The munich LMEs i've seen are around half munich. So 10 lb LME and then mash maybe 6 oz of munich malt. Which would be a tiny mini-mash and I would feel silly about it. So if you're going to go through a mini mash anyways, maybe go with 8 lb light LME and then a mini mash of 3 lb pale malt and 6 oz of munich.

Latest posts

Back