Hop Creep and Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
With most extract producers suggesting that extracts are about 75% fermentable, do we know much as to the composition of the remaining unfermentables? In particular, could what's remaining potentially be a concern when it comes to hop creep when dry hopping extract batches? FWIU, brewers nowadays are trying to minimize how dextrinous their worts are in hopes that it can mitigate refermentation upon introduction of dry hops. I understand that there are other workarounds that one can take, but I was just curious as to whether this is something that extract brewers should take any more consideration of simply based upon the composition of the extract itself. 🤷‍♂️

I was just curious as to whether this is something that extract brewers should take any more consideration of simply based upon the composition of the extract itself
Hop creep feels like a consideration for packaging rather than "all-grain vs extract".

This article (/1/ link) that offers includes a list of factors that promote/reduce hop creep.

/2/ and /3/ are reasonable overviews for those new to hop creep.

/1/ Hop Creep – Technical Brief | Brewers Association
/2/ Hop Creep Explained - Brew Your Own
/3/ Hop Creep - Brew Your Own

Hop creep feels like a consideration for packaging rather than "all-grain vs extract".

This article (/1/ link) that offers includes a list of factors that promote/reduce hop creep.

For sure. I suppose my concern when it comes to hop creep is potential for diacetyl more so than a concern for the added attenuation.

Thanks for the links - two of these were new to me. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything to date with practical (at least for me) guidance for eliminating hop creep. I bottle and don't want to risk bombs, so I still don't dry hop. This might seem extreme, but we all make judgement calls in our brewing.

Thanks for the links - two of these were new to me. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything to date with practical (at least for me) guidance for eliminating hop creep. I bottle and don't want to risk bombs, so I still don't dry hop. This might seem extreme, but we all make judgement calls in our brewing.
I hear you about concern for bottle bombs. I've been thinking about getting back into bottle conditioning but I'm thinking I'll likely just stick to kegging when it comes to IPA.

Back