Munich DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pehlman17

Reaction score
I tend to see a lot of extract based recipes online (BYO, Craft Beer & Brewing, etc.) that will call for Munich DME. From what I can tell, Briess currently only makes their Munich LME, and the closest DME they have on their website is Sparkling Amber. I have however still seen some online retailers selling 3 Lb bags of Briess Munich DME. Are these just super old? And if so, does it matter?

Briess' Munich extract is listed as a 50/50 blend of "base malt" (pale or pils 🤷‍♂️) and Bonlander Munich 10L. They don't specify what constitutes Sparkling Amber but my best guess would be that its similar to Munich but perhaps with some mid range Caramel malt added in.

I have however still seen some online retailers selling 3 Lb bags of Briess Munich DME. Are these just super old? And if so, does it matter?
I have wondered the same. A few years ago I wanted to try out dry Munich DME, but likely just at 10% in a one gallon batch. MoreBeer had the 1 lb DME listed at one point, but it never came back in stock. Briess does not seem to mention that they make a Munich DME. It would seem odd if places are selling 3+ year old bags of DME.

Briess' Munich extract is listed as a 50/50 blend of "base malt" (pale or pils 🤷‍♂️) and Bonlander Munich 10L.
Probably their "Brewers Malt".

Are these just super old? And if so, does it matter?
Probably not "super old" - it would probably make an ok-ish drinkable-ish beer.

It's up to you if you want to spend time on an ingredient that you won't be able to get in the future.

I tend to see a lot of extract based recipes online (BYO, Craft Beer & Brewing, etc.) that will call for Munich DME.
Are you interested in brewing some of those recipes?

If there are no additional crystal / roasted malts in the recipes, a mini-mash of just the Munich 10L may work:
  • Bonlander Munich 10L is "self converting" (DP of 60).
  • Using Brewers Friend's "Brewing Water Calculator", it looks like 1 lb Munich 10L in 1 gal of "no mineral" water will get a good mash pH without any additional adjustments.
So there are options.

A recipe (or two) would help with creating a (hopefully simple) process for converting from all DME to a mini/partial mash.

While we are talking about Munich DME, does anybody have much experience with this to report? Or with the LME?

I am mostly an all-grain brewer who brews some extract batches to support investigative batches (say to try out new yeasts or hops). A short boil extract batch can be an easy way to produce a consistent wort. I do find that the Briess DME that I use lacks some of the subtle grain flavors I can get from a quality 2-Row or German Pils. The Briess Pale Ale DME is not close to an English Pale Ale malt. I have not really tried anything other than Briess.

Also, with an all-grain batch, it is pretty easy to add in some kilned malts like Munich, Aromatic Malt, Honey Malt, etc. I could try just steeping these types of grains in my water as it heats up, even if they might add some starch to the beer. Yeah, I could do a mini-mash, but at that point I would probably just switch over to an all-grain batch.

Does Munich DME or LME add characteristic "Munich Malt flavors" (malt flavors, bread crust notes, etc.) without adding too much color and sweetness? How would it compare to steeping light Crystal Malt?

Sparkling Amber DME – 10°L (Breiss) 1.043 10 A proprietary blend of base (90%), Munich 10L (5%), and Caramel 60L (5%) malts. Amber color and malty flavor with caramelly overtones. - I found this info last year when making an Oktoberfest batch. I have since switched to a partial mash when using special malts like Munich & adjunct grains.

Sparkling Amber DME – 10°L (Breiss) 1.043 10 A proprietary blend of base (90%), Munich 10L (5%), and Caramel 60L (5%) malts. Amber color and malty flavor with caramelly overtones. - I found this info last year when making an Oktoberfest batch. I have since switched to a partial mash when using special malts like Munich & adjunct grains.
Where did you find the percentages and specific malts?

I'm aware of a couple of older blog posts (available via the Internet Archives) that made educated guesses, but never came across anything that claimed to be factual? IIRC, one of the educated guesses was very close to what you mentioned.

And, FWIW, Amber DME/LME is one of the remaining "style specific" DMEs from Briess - so the grain bill is likely to be a basic Amber Ale grain bill (with 'space' to add additional steeping grains).

Adventures in Homebrewing has Munich DME on sale if you care to deal with the NB clan. I've used it before they sold out to NB. It made a really good Vienna Lager.

DMF

Is this a good enough source?
Probably not. I checked the product descriptions on that page and the product information sheets associated with Amber DME/LME (before I posted #6) and didn't see specific details on percentages or malts.

It is the source for this statement:
A proprietary blend of base (90%), Munich 10L (5%), and Caramel 60L (5%) malts.
that I am interested in.

Briess Amber DME is the only common DME where the grain bill isn't known (people have speculated on grain bills in the past).

Knowning (or not knowing) doesn't impact my use of Amber DME, but it is an occasional concern for posters here at HomeBrewTalk.

Last edited:
I emailed Briess and asked: There are some recipes that include generic "amber" or "dark" malt extract. Can you tell me if the Briess Amber and Dark would be reasonable to use in such recipes?

Briess replied: Hey Glenn, yest they would most certainly be suitable to be used given those designations.

According to this website All Grain Recipe Equivalents to Common Extracts (All Grain Recipe Equivalents to Common Extracts):
Amber Malt Extract
85% 2 Row Malted Barley
10% Caramel 60 L
5% Munich 10 L

It's a little roundabout, but I go with that for the Briess Amber DME.

Where did you find the percentages and specific malts?

I'm aware of a couple of older blog posts (available via the Internet Archives) that made educated guesses, but never came across anything that claimed to be factual? IIRC, one of the educated guesses was very close to what you mentioned.

And, FWIW, Amber DME/LME is one of the remaining "style specific" DMEs from Briess - so the grain bill is likely to be a basic Amber Ale grain bill (with 'space' to add additional steeping grains).
This is probably an educated guess too. Otherwise, I have no idea how they would know. It’s a proprietary blend. But this is the most detailed thing I’ve seen on Amber DME contents. Malt Profiles

This is probably an educated guess too. Otherwise, I have no idea how they would know. It’s a proprietary blend. But this is the most detailed thing I’ve seen on Amber DME contents. Malt Profiles
Thanks! That is one of the best malt lists / descriptions I have seen.

The other DME/LME descriptions (malts and percentages) match what I have read at Briess's web site (product descriptions / product information sheets / blog posts). It's nice to see all that information in one place.

Good find! and thanks for sharing!

While we are talking about Munich DME, does anybody have much experience with this to report? Or with the LME?

I am mostly an all-grain brewer who brews some extract batches to support investigative batches (say to try out new yeasts or hops). A short boil extract batch can be an easy way to produce a consistent wort. I do find that the Briess DME that I use lacks some of the subtle grain flavors I can get from a quality 2-Row or German Pils. The Briess Pale Ale DME is not close to an English Pale Ale malt. I have not really tried anything other than Briess.

Also, with an all-grain batch, it is pretty easy to add in some kilned malts like Munich, Aromatic Malt, Honey Malt, etc. I could try just steeping these types of grains in my water as it heats up, even if they might add some starch to the beer. Yeah, I could do a mini-mash, but at that point I would probably just switch over to an all-grain batch.

Does Munich DME or LME add characteristic "Munich Malt flavors" (malt flavors, bread crust notes, etc.) without adding too much color and sweetness? How would it compare to steeping light Crystal Malt?
You raise some interesting questions for those who would be willing to mini/partial mash.

My current setup is 2.5 gal (full volume) induction cook top. The 'wort a' / 'wort b' process will allow me to brew that occasional 5 gal (lower ABV) batch. And using partial mash for 'wort a' is viable option.

So if there's interest from others in mini / partial mash, let's talk.

Adventures in Homebrewing has Munich DME on sale if you care to deal with the NB clan. I've used it before they sold out to NB. It made a really good Vienna Lager.

DMF
I did not know this. Is that why the price of their kegs skyrocketed?

Hmmm...I see that Austin Homebrew Supply and Adventures in Homebrewing both list Briess Munich DME on sale for $7.45 for a 3 lb bag. That is a very solid price if this is not 3 year old DME (and I have mixed feeling about dealing with the Northern Brewer / Blackstreet Capital Holdings, LLC group). I don't see it listed at Midwest Supply or Northern Brewer.

Latest posts

Back