Recipe critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Complete newb here, have brewed absolutely zero beers (tho I have prison-hooched a few ciders in my day :)). Anyways, while waiting for my fermenter and hydrometer to arrive in the mail, I thought I'd familiarize myself with some brewing software (BrewTarget), and see how simple I could make something that would still have a chance of turning out pretty good. So, with that said, I'd appreciate any comments on my planned first beer!
firstbeer.png

Forgot to add: The total "boil time" would be 30 minutes, not "1.000 hr" (changing that in BrewTarget didn't change anything, so I'm not updating that screen-cap). Also, I know S-04 is the WRONG yeast! What should I use? Saflager S-23? Something else?

edit: definitely something else! my basement temps are a pretty steady 65 to 70 degrees F, if that matters.

Last edited:
Forgot to add: The total "boil time" would be 30 minutes, not "1.000 hr" (changing that in BrewTarget didn't change anything, so I'm not updating that screen-cap). Also, I know S-04 is the WRONG yeast! What should I use? Saflager S-23? Something else?

edit: definitely something else! my basement temps are a pretty steady 65 to 70 degrees F, if that matters.
Your basement temperature would be suitable for an ale, not a lager that would require much lower temperature. I'd probably substitute US-05 for the yeast and to keep the temperature in check so your yeast didn't raise the fermentation temperature too much I'd suggest you set the fermenter in a tub of cool water. Fermentatation is exothermic and with a starting temperature of 70F I would expect the beer to reach somewhere near or slightly above 75F at the peak of fermentation, high enough to create some unwanted esters in your beer.

The bittering from the hops is near 100% with a 60 minute boil which is why that is the standard time. However, at 30 minutes the bittering will be in the range of 90% complete which is why you didn't see the change in BrewTarget. The bittering from the hops is primarily controlled by the alpha acid and Hallertau is relatively low alpha acid so the change with the shorter boil would not be nearly as pronounced as if you used a high alpha acid hop.

Welcome to the hobby. I too am an extract brewer. I brew on the stove. I do a 30-minute boil. I ferment in the basement. :)
US05 is a good choice for this. You will not produce lagers as things are.
Check,your basement temperature. In mid winter it might be cold enough that setting the fermenter directly on the floor will leave things too cold. You could set the fermenter on some boards. My basement in the area where I ferment and store my bottled beer is 62-68 in general, but it might hit 60 during a cold spell or 70 when it's over 100 outside. I've never used a bath to hold the temperature down, but, if you're on the warm side it would be a good idea. This is more important if you are going for a lager-like result.
Please consider using dry malt extract instead of liquid. It makes things more flexible. You can measure the amount you want and store the unused portion.
For the future, you may wish to explore a late addition of half the extract. That can be used to gain back the hop utilization lost to the 30 minute boil. And, if the late addition is already dissolved in water, it helps cool the wort.

Last edited:
Your basement temperature would be suitable for an ale, not a lager that would require much lower temperature. I'd probably substitute US-05 for the yeast and to keep the temperature in check so your yeast didn't raise the fermentation temperature too much I'd suggest you set the fermenter in a tub of cool water.

It'll be a BOCKtoberfest beer! That's a thing, right? :)

Complete newb here, have brewed absolutely zero beers (tho I have prison-hooched a few ciders in my day :)). Anyways, while waiting for my fermenter and hydrometer to arrive in the mail, I thought I'd familiarize myself with some brewing software (BrewTarget), and see how simple I could make something that would still have a chance of turning out pretty good. So, with that said, I'd appreciate any comments on my planned first beer!View attachment 767788
you're fine to make a lager if you get a hold of the right yeast. 34/70 will work at room temp, no problem. but as this is supposed to be more of a malty style than a clean crisp pils style i would get a hold of a pack of s189 yeast. it definitely has a better malt character to it than 34/70. its also fine at room temp. you can also use cali common "lager" yeast, but frankly that **** is gross, you'll basically be making Anchor steam. dont.

pitched at room temp, neither "needs" the extra cell count you are supposed to use pitching cold (50F) so you dont need two packs of yeast like you'd typically see advised for cold pitched lagers. but it also wont hurt, and would probably even help make it super clean if you did use two packs. frankly, i'd take the time to get a pack of s189, or two.

Just need to find someone nearby to split a 50 lb bag!
No, just no! Dry malt extract is hygroscopic and once you open the container is it in it will begin to absorb water from the air and become a solid chunk. Buy in smaller quantities and use it up before it becomes a brick.

A better option might be to learn all grain brewing. It isn't as difficult as you imagine and it isn't as expensive to buy grain as to buy lots of DME. Look into BIAB and maybe try a small batch to see how it goes.

I keep DME double bagged in heavy dutry plastic garbage bags. and it keeps well for a long time without picking up atmospheric moisture. I also keep it in a dehumidified basement. Single bagging didn't work well, but two keeps the water at bay.

Finally got around to tasting a bottle of my first beer! It's pretty damned good!, will definitely make again!

Style: Amber Ale, 2.5 gal batch (full volume boil)
  • 3 gal RO water (no additions)
  • Briess Amber DME (3.0 lbs)
  • 30 minute boil
  • 0.5 oz Cascade @ 30
  • 0.5 oz Willamette @ 15
  • US-05 (full packet)
  • Ferment temp: 69F (+/- 2 degrees) [room temp, not certain about beer temp]
  • OG: 1.053
  • FG: 1.010
  • ABV: 5.6%
  • IBU: 26
  • BU/GU: 0.49
  • brew date: 27-jul-2022
  • bottle date: 13-aug-2022 (17 days)
  • first taste date: 26-aug-2022

Complaints:
  • Would've been $10 cheaper if I'd have known about Ritebrew before buying from NB!
  • Was a tad "fruity" on first sip, but got better as I kept drinking.
  • I only have 20 more bottles!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back