Recipe Critique (Belgian Strong/Tripel)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cblack85

Reaction score
This is going to be my first attempt at a belgian beer, a buddy and I are going to brew this on Sunday. My buddy came up with this recipe, we are looking for a little feedback.

*Also what yeast would you use? WLP530, WLP550, WYeast #3787 are available at my LHBS. or would you use a different strain all together.

THis is a 5.5 gallon batch

Belgian Strong (or Tripel)

13 lbs 2-row pilsner malt
2 lbs clear Belgian Candy Sugar (60 min.)
2 oz Fuggles (60 min.)
1 oz Saaz (30 min.)
1 oz Saaz (15 min.)
wirlflock (10 min.)
2 packs Belgian Abbey Yeast*

Mash 155 for 90 min. Collect 6 gallons of wort.

Ferment for 14 days with 1 pack of yeast.

Rack to secondary w/ 2nd pack of yeast for 14 days.

Bottle, and bottle condition for 3 -4 weeks.

That's pretty similar to the tripel i brewed (recipe is in my drop down) which has won awards before. I used the 3787 in mine.

I made my own amber candi syrup for mine. If you're just using the clear candy save yourself some money and just use table sugar. You won't be able to tell the difference anyway. Or try making your own syrup. It's pretty easy.

I would lower the mash temp, though. Tripels are supposed to finish dry, so 155 seems a little on the hot side for me. I usually mash around 150 for higher gravity belgians.

I would mash at 149 to 150 and do 60-90 mash.

Use table sugar.

Typical hops in Belgians are Styrian and saaz. Fuggles is a nice choice for smooth hopping.

I would combine 3787 and 550. I would use these both at pitch. U need about 300 million cells at that gravity. One pack with starter would work, but two at pitch and you get benefits of both yeasts.

For bottle conditioning you can use a wine yeast or a clean dry yeast. Anything that won't add flavor at bottling.

This is going to be my first attempt at a belgian beer, a buddy and I are going to brew this on Sunday. My buddy came up with this recipe, we are looking for a little feedback.

*Also what yeast would you use? WLP530, WLP550, WYeast #3787 are available at my LHBS. or would you use a different strain all together.

I like wlp550 for blond color beers, if you have two fermentors why not try 2 yeast. Split the wort and pitch different yeast in each fermentor to see for yourself what yeast you like best.

Mash closer to 149 - 152F
Pitch @65-67F and slowly let it rise up to 75-77f.
Theres no reason to rack at 2wks and then add another yeast. Just go 3wks check gravity and if its done transfer to secondary to bulk age. Only add extra yeast at bottling- 2-5g of dry yeast will work, carb @70-75F for 2-3wks.

Final recipe ended up looking like this:

13 lbs 2-row belgian pilsner malt
2 lbs turbinado (sugar in the raw) (10 min.)
2 oz Styrain Goldings (90 min.)
1 oz Saaz (30 min.)
1 oz Saaz (5 min.)
wirlflock (10 min.)

Wyeast #3787 / 3.7 litre starter

Mash 149 for 90 min. Collect 6 gallons of wort.

Primary 21 days (pitch yeast @ 65 degrees F, bring temp up to 75 over the course of the first week)
Secondary 14 days @ 60 degrees F

Bottle, and bottle condition for 3 -4 weeks.

Estimated O.G. - 1.074
Estimated F.G. - 1.010
Estimated ABV - 8.37%

What about buttering with saaz and using fuggles for aroma

For buttering you'd have to use a Ringwood yeast.:ban:

Here's another call for mashing lower. 148 is a pretty standard temp for a single infusion mash. If you've got 2 packets already, pitch both at the start, and make sure that's enough based off volume and OG. Don't pitch yeast as you transfer to a secondary, if you're going to use a secondary.

Oh, just saw the updated recipe. Carry on.

GuldTuborg said:
For buttering you'd have to use a Ringwood yeast.:ban:

Here's another call for mashing lower. 148 is a pretty standard temp for a single infusion mash. If you've got 2 packets already, pitch both at the start, and make sure that's enough based off volume and OG. Don't pitch yeast as you transfer to a secondary, if you're going to use a secondary.

Oh, just saw the updated recipe. Carry on.

iPad likes to auto correct.

Apparently fuggles and Styrian are the same. News to me. Not sure the accuracy.

Good luck let us know how it turns out.

iPad likes to auto correct.

Apparently fuggles and Styrian are the same. News to me. Not sure the accuracy.

Good luck let us know how it turns out.

I think you may be thinking of Golding. Styrian is a variety of Golding (Kent Golding is the British version). Fuggles and Kent Golding are similar but not the same. Looks like Styrians can be used as a sub for Fuggles though. I prefer Styrian for my Belgians and Fuggles for just about any other style.

OP- recipe looks good. Were you planning on "feeding" it at all in the primary with sugar additions? I've seen that done for tripels.

Stratotankard said:
I think you may be thinking of Golding. Styrian is a variety of Golding (Kent Golding is the British version). Fuggles and Kent Golding are similar but not the same. Looks like Styrians can be used as a sub for Fuggles though. I prefer Styrian for my Belgians and Fuggles for just about any other style.

OP- recipe looks good. Were you planning on "feeding" it at all in the primary with sugar additions? I've seen that done for tripels.

Styrian Golding is what is use in my Belgians along with saaz as noted earlier.

Doing more research on Styrian Golding has produced that it is a ecotype of fuggles grown in Slovenia border. Several sources site this.

Stratotankard, Styrian Goldings are really Fuggles, not Goldings at all... As to the recipe, add your sugar at high krausen or as fermentation slows. It makes for better attenuation, since the yeast don't gear up for the simple sugars until they have already chewed up a lot of maltose first.

I have been debating on whether to "feed" the 2 lbs of sugar in during the primary, or to add it during the boil. Still not sure, I have heard of it being done both ways

Stratotankard, ... As to the recipe, add your sugar at high krausen or as fermentation slows. It makes for better attenuation, since the yeast don't gear up for the simple sugars until they have already chewed up a lot of maltose first.

If I add as fermentation do I need to do anything special with the sugar, or do I just dissolve it in some boiling water and add it once it cools?

If I add as fermentation do I need to do anything special with the sugar, or do I just dissolve it in some boiling water and add it once it cools?

If you mean during fermentation, no, that's just it. Boil it long enough to get everything well dissolved, chill, then add to the carboy. Swirl the carboy some after adding to make sure it gets mixed in with the beer.

Back