Recipe calls for brewers sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehsumo

Reaction score
I got some beer kits for very cheap so I tried to make one. The recipe called for brewers sugar...What is this? I read a few places that said in order to alleviate the cider-y taste of table sugar to cook it with some water and lemon juice to break the bonds thus not requiring the yeast to create the extra enzyme.
No luck for me- i can notice the cider like taste, which in the american light style was not so bad, yet the other kit I got was a nut brown ale where it would not be favorable.
Any advice?

I assume they mean dextrose (corn sugar). I've not tried any methods of cooking sugar, but the problem is the recipes. If you've got a beer made with a large proportion of simple sucrose or dextrose instead of complex sugars found in malted grains, you're going to end up with a thin "cidery" beer. There are a few styles that benefit from simple sugar additions, but most of the cheap kits are doing it just to keep down costs.

Latest posts

Back