Reason's for Bitter after taste in first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I bottled my first Amber Ale over 5 weeks ago and they have been in the bottle now for a week... The beer has a pretty bitter after taste that hangs around on my tongue for a while afterwards.... Can anyone tell me what might be causing that?

The beer is a just a basic Amber Ale Extract kit from Muntons.

Was 3.3 lbs on LME
3.3 lbs DME
2 oz of hops...

Some beers need to be aged for a long time. I have found that certain hops need a long time to mellow ( Chinook etc ). What type of hops did you use and what was the AA% ?

Only in the bottle for a week? That, my friend, is the taste of green beer! Walk away from the batch for a couple more weeks.

Say it with me:

3 weeks @ 70°
3 weeks @ 70°
3 weeks @ 70°

hmm im not really sure... They were pellet hops. not sure what the AA% is?

Bitterness will mellow somewhat with time. Give it a few weeks, and it'll likely be more enjoyable.

I find that my green beers have a bitterness that "sticks out" like it doesn't belong. After about 3wks in the bottle it's much more integrated and balanced.

they have been in the bottle now for a week...

Beer is supposed to taste bad if it has been in the bottle only a week. Otherwise you would have no reason to wait at least 3 weeks before touching it ever. If it is any consolation it will probably taste worse next week than this week.

Latest posts

Back