Re-racking Wild Yeast Capture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nompton

Reaction score
I'm working on a wild yeast capture right now using wildflowers and noticed airlock activity this morning--fingers crossed it's something worth stepping up.

Flying blind, how long should I wait until I rack the fermented "beer" off the yeast cake and put a batch of clean wort on top to begin to step up the yeast? I've already attached an airlock (hence noticing activity) but without know how the yeast attenuates, I'd like to take the wildflowers and beer off of the yeast before any mold can take hold. Three-four days enough? I don't mind if the starter wort doesn't fully attenuate, not interested in that right now, just want to inhibit mold from possibly causing problems.

Thanks!

Looks like I've got something growing!
g53yxSH.jpg

That's cool. I don't know what size and gravity you're working with but just treat it like a beer. If you see a good amount of cake at the bottom and the gravity stops dropping then move on to a bigger vessel.

That's cool. I don't know what size and gravity you're working with but just treat it like a beer. If you see a good amount of cake at the bottom and the gravity stops dropping then move on to a bigger vessel.

It's a bit odd. I don't see much of anything in the way of a yeast cake which inclines me to think I may have found lacto or brett and the "fermentation" I'm seeing and hearing (airlock) are the bugs going wild on the sweet wort. I'll update with another pic tomorrow.

Lots of foamy proto krausen again today but it seems to be residing a bit. I'll probably take a gravity reading to see whats going on tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back