Wild fermentation - success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacred Knot Brewing

Reaction score
Pretty pumped about this. I decided to do a 1 gallon batch of a lambic-ish beer. I say lambic-ish because there were some adjustments I made to the process for time/inexperience with the style.

My grain bill was 66% Belgian Pilsner malt and 34% unmalted wheat. I did a stepped mash with turbid pulls which I held at temp in a small sauce pot in my oven that I kept at 185 during the mash. I added the turbid pills back during mash out and sparging to boil volume. The biggest variations I made were that I used low AA% French strisselspalt hops instead of aged hops at the end of the boil and it’s fermenting in a glass carboy instead of a barrel. I cooled it overnight by a window in a Dutch oven with a strainer bag over the top to act like a coolship.

I did also cheat a bit and a few days prior made a starter and collected wild yeast over night in mason jars so there was already some yeast ready to inoculate the wort because I was afraid of mold or unwanted bacterial growth. The weather that night was ideal for collecting wild yeast; right around 50 and windy. I placed one jar on my front porch where there are some pumpkins and a crepe myrtle/bushes. The other went on the back patio.
90CA28BA-C524-49DE-8C19-8101D87B42C8.jpeg

On brew day (approx 48 hours later) my yeast starter had some signs of colonization and no off smells:
D4CAF626-5C85-4F6B-B215-5F92672D9608.jpeg

I brewed on Friday, 11/11 and racked to my “coolship” around 11pm. The next morning the temp was around 72, so I racked it to the carboy the starter was in and set it in a closet where the ambient temp is around 72-74. This morning, 11/13 I checked on the batch with great surprise. I had airlock activity (a bubble every 10-15 ish seconds), visible swirling of yeast colonies and a pleasant fruity/funky smell coming from the airlock. There are no visible signs of mold growth as of now.
76EFEA87-CE2E-4B8D-8998-ED9384450779.jpeg

Fingers crossed, but as of now it looks like I got lucky and successfully harvested wild yeast!!

Last edited:
I’m curious about doing something similar once it gets warm enough for wild yeast to be out. Has anything remarkable happened with this beer in the past few months?

I’m curious about doing something similar once it gets warm enough for wild yeast to be out. Has anything remarkable happened with this beer in the past few months?
Unfortunately it was a dumper. It was only 0.65% ABV after 3 months in the fermenter. There definitely was some Brett or lactobacilis present because there was a pleasant acidity to it but there was an additional off putting funk to it. Idk if I was premature in dumping it but I felt like it was just going to get worse. Plus I needed the carboy for something new anyways ;)

Back