rasted pumpkn seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurvymeat

Reaction score
Good day ladies and gents.
I am a semi experienced all grain brewer that has not yet done a pumpkin/harvest beer. While pondering what good recipe might be and zing through whats here already I began to wonder if roasted pumpkin seed would be a nice flavor or if it would carry any flavor at all.
just spit baling.
I am leaning toward perhaps a brown ale.. though I would love the thought of maybe a toasted malt IPA with toasted pumpkin seed.
Any iput would be welcome

I don't think they have much flavor. I know when my wife makes pumpkin seeds around Halloween, it's the sugar/spice coating that provides all the flavor.

Ok, so I got an idea after reading a few things. If you have a good food processor/blender, this is what I would do. Roast your pepitas, let them cool, and grind them yourself into a butter. Put it in a jar, and let it sit for a while (days) until the oil starts to separate naturally. Pour off the oil. I've never done this, so I can't say how long this will take to get rid off all the oils, but without stabilizers the fats will separate and you should be able to get rid of them. I'd save the oil for a salad dressing though, I bet that would be good. Anyway, you could then add this paste to your fermenter after primary ferm has finished.

Back