Raspberry Cream Ale - cold crashing - kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenophobe2020

Reaction score
I am planning on making a raspberry cream ale & have a question that i have not really found an answer for in searching.

I am planning on adding fresh raspberries (boiled obviously) rather than extract to impart the flavor, i have read threads stating that its prefectly acceptable & will yield good results if i add them to the primary after fermentation has finished. Obviously this will start a second fermentation & and alcohol to the final product.

Heres my question, if i cold crash (for a few days, week?) after primary fermentation & then add the raspberries, will the yeast reactivate or will the cold crashing prevent them from doing so? Is there a specific amount of time i should cold crash to acheive that?

Please keep in mind i will be kegging & force carbing so i dont care if there is no active yeast for carbing.

Cold crashing before adding the fruit would be a waste of time IMHO, if you want to cold crash to get the yeast to settle out then do that after the fuit has done its thing with the yeasties.:mug:

Cold crashing will not kill the yeast, only precipitate out the inactive yeast. When you add the raspberries, there will still be enough yeast to renew the ferment.

Latest posts

Back