Raspberry Cream Ale - cold crashing - kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenophobe2020

Reaction score
I am planning on making a raspberry cream ale & have a question that i have not really found an answer for in searching.

I am planning on adding fresh raspberries (boiled obviously) rather than extract to impart the flavor, i have read threads stating that its prefectly acceptable & will yield good results if i add them to the primary after fermentation has finished. Obviously this will start a second fermentation & and alcohol to the final product.

Heres my question, if i cold crash (for a few days, week?) after primary fermentation & then add the raspberries, will the yeast reactivate or will the cold crashing prevent them from doing so? Is there a specific amount of time i should cold crash to acheive that?

Please keep in mind i will be kegging & force carbing so i dont care if there is no active yeast for carbing.

Cold crashing before adding the fruit would be a waste of time IMHO, if you want to cold crash to get the yeast to settle out then do that after the fuit has done its thing with the yeasties.:mug:

Cold crashing will not kill the yeast, only precipitate out the inactive yeast. When you add the raspberries, there will still be enough yeast to renew the ferment.

Back