Random question about the forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why do we not have the ability to delete our own posts?

For example, maybe we regret commenting on a funny thread that's not funny anymore (arguably never was, I know), but don't want it showing up in "my replies" anymore.

Or maybe we had a bout with foot-in-mouth syndrome, and want to just completely delete it, instead of editing it to read: "."

You can easily delete your post. Simply edit it to say [deleted]. It's nice to tell the people why you deleted it.

I have noticed that after a period of time it becomes impossible to edit your own post. This is bad as
1. You can't delete it if you want to.
2. I have found typos and errors in old posts of mine
3. It is not that unusual to have new information turn up quite some time after the original post. This is most troublesome with stickies. It would be nice to be able to add this new info so the sticky, which is, after all, a sticky because it is presumed to have long term value, is up to date.

Relax, have a homebrew. No one cares, nobody is judging you because of your comments on an internet forum. Hey, have a whole bunch of homebrews, its new years eve! Life's too short to worry, just celebrate. :mug:

Think before you click Post - that's all. If you'd be embarrassed to have someone read your post in 20 years, don't post it.
You forgetting this is a beer forum?

What you think sounds good after a few beers may not look the same in the morning yet alone in 20 years. :drunk:

I'd vote for having a delete button that stays active for 24 hours and lifetime edits.

I just deal with the permanent irrefutable electronic evidence of my stupidity or *****ebaggery. One of the double edged sides of having immediate electronic access to anywhere in the world i suppose

We used to allow deletes for a week or a month or something. The problem was that frequently a member would get pissed about something, or decide they didn't like the online presence, and they would run through the forum deleting everything. A thread doesn't make sense when that happens. This is a knowledgebase. Deleting stuff isn't how it works.

You can still edit posts, which can accomplish the same thing as deleting I guess. There's a time limit for that, can't remember how long but I could check if anyone really needed to know.

As Screwy said, if you need anything done on the forum, just click the report button
report.gif
and a mod will take care of it. If you've got a dbl post or some reason for wanting a post deleted, hit the button. During daytime hours, a report will be seen by somebody in an hour or two max. We do occasionally get request to remove all of a members posts; that we will not do.

I'm not so much worried about the foot in the mouth disease, I can deal with being a jackass. Just wondering how to not have dumb threads show up in the "my replies" section, or the "@participated" section on the mobile device.

Editing a post won't remove that.

I've learned a lot in my time here, one of them being able to see which threads will be the types I won't want to be apart of in the long term. Problem are those ones that seem to go on eternally.

I'm not so much worried about the foot in the mouth disease, I can deal with being a jackass. Just wondering how to not have dumb threads show up in the "my replies" section, or the "@participated" section on the mobile device.

Editing a post won't remove that.

I've learned a lot in my time here, one of them being able to see which threads will be the types I won't want to be apart of in the long term. Problem are those ones that seem to go on eternally.

I actually had a mod delete one of my posts as I posted in the wrong forum, or something. Regardless, that thread still shows up in the "My Replies" section.

Back