Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1980-1985 I spent working at NARFNI, and living in Imperial Beach and Coronado. Loved that early morning drive along the Strand!

That’s where I ended up, IB. Miramar was 32 miles from 4th and carnation, usually 2-3 hour drive. The strand was definitely faster.

I got stuck in traffic on the strand on 9/11. I’ll never forget that day!

71173636-2360975194231360-8291640819710951424-n.png

minesweeper... RESPECT!

and I'm 101% positive that's San Diego bay, Harbor Island, Harbor Drive bridge and, behind that, NTC. off to the right, RTC

and it just passed my home, that little peninsula between Shelter Island and Harbor Island, the Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center Pacific FLEASWTRACENPAC

I am not sure where or when this was taken. we were home port in Tacoma WA. during my time aboard. The Implicit was the last of the MSO fleet to be decommissioned.

I was at Norfolk Naval Station working a project on the CVN65 in the weeks ahead of the first Iraq war, when they were loading minesweepers onto transport vehicles and shipping them off. I believe this image was taken during that time (if not, it's a near identical scenario)

upload_2019-10-1_14-59-37.jpeg

loceano-dragamine-uss-impervi-mso-449-e-altre-navi-sono-posizionati-sul-parzialmente-sommerso-deck-olandese-di-sollevamento-pesante-nave-super-servant-3-prima-di-sbarcare-le-catture-a-sostegno-dell-operazione-desert-shield-uss-impervi-mss-449-e-altre-navi-a-bordo-di-super-servant-3-hfxj82.jpg

interesting link on transporting these here: http://102msos.8m.net/piggybackminesweepers.html

Last edited:
I was at Norfolk Naval Station working a project on the CVN65 in the weeks ahead of the first Iraq war, when they were loading minesweepers onto transport vehicles and shipping them off. I believe this image was taken during that time (if not, it's a near identical scenario)

View attachment 646449

loceano-dragamine-uss-impervi-mso-449-e-altre-navi-sono-posizionati-sul-parzialmente-sommerso-deck-olandese-di-sollevamento-pesante-nave-super-servant-3-prima-di-sbarcare-le-catture-a-sostegno-dell-operazione-desert-shield-uss-impervi-mss-449-e-altre-navi-a-bordo-di-super-servant-3-hfxj82.jpg

interesting link on transporting these here: http://102msos.8m.net/piggybackminesweepers.html
If I remember correctly, the navy moved 4 sweeps from the east coast fleet during the war. All transported on that heavy lift ship. Our ship could only run at 14 knots. War would have been over by the time they got there on their own.

This man is Juan Soto

until Sunday, this man does not buy his own beers. his money is no good in this town

ditto for Trent Grisham
71884066_2712978572059411_9220159852288933888_n.jpg

they used our FFG as a minesweeper during Desert Storm. found 3 of them. Ship got a Navy Unit Commendation ribbon for that

the 1 was just floating & one of our mine watches spotted it.

the other 2 were spotted from the helo, dead ahead of us, 12 feet below the surface. I was in The Chair at the time and I KNOW if the bird hadn't seen them, I wouldn't have either and we would have rolled right over them

our mine watch chair:

61875_1473360427022_1198448_n.jpg

Always wondered if we did hit a mine, how far would it launch me in the air.

& if it did throw me over the gunwhale, would it arc & swing me in a way that would bash my head or snap my neck when I bounced against the hull

Which actually concerned me more than the explody part

& yeah... had to put my trust in the welding skills of the guys in Damage Control

Like the design, safe and secure, clearly purpose built no expenses spared.

Back