Random infected bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs2to4

Reaction score
The last couple of batches that I’ve bottled have been randomly infected (gushers, along with a very dry finish); maybe 75% infected, 25% not). I soaked all bottles in Oxyclean for 20-30 minutes, rinsed with tap water, then soaked in Iodophor for around 5 minutes. Appropriate concentrations were used. If it was something infected in the bottling line, all would have been infected, thus me wondering why individual bottles are/aren’t infected. I’m wondering if taking a bottle brush on a drill to each bottle after their soak in Oxyclean would take care of the issue... Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks.

Depends if you got something sticking to the bottles or not. If solid material sticks to the bottle, soaking might not kill everything inside of it.

I’ve had a similar problem in the past. Mine wasn’t 75% infected but it was random bottles. For sanitizer to work the surface has to be visibly clean.

After you pour a bottle, rinse it and hold it up to the light. If it has a speck of crud in it, scrub it with your bottle brush. It it doesn’t come off, toss the bottle. Rerun the inspection procedure on your next bottling day.

I too say that it was due to not getting the bottles fully clean. Rinse your bottles out right after pouring. Use a bottle brush if you need to. You shouldn't need to resort to a drill. Inspect for stuck on spots.

On bottling day, inspect again before filling them, any suspect bottles - set aside to clean again. I bring out more bottles than I need. Any that are suspect get put aside and cleaned after the bottling session is done. Then they go back in storage waiting for the next beer.

Soaking and even using a bottle brush doesn't always remove residue.

Shine a LED flashlight through the bottle and look at it from the opposite side. This will reveal absolutely every fingerprint, water spot, glass imperfection, and any yeast/kräusen residue inside.

Holding it up to the light doesn't really work. I will post photos if anyone disagrees. :)

Don't do this unless you're sure to want to put work into cleaning your bottles, or if you can live with using dirty bottles, because it's the equivalent of using a blacklight in a hotel room. It reveals everything.

Soaking and even using a bottle brush doesn't always remove residue.

Shine a LED flashlight through the bottle and look at it from the opposite side. This will reveal absolutely every fingerprint, water spot, glass imperfection, and any yeast/kräusen residue inside.

Holding it up to the light doesn't really work. I will post photos if anyone disagrees. :)

Don't do this unless you're sure to want to put work into cleaning your bottles, or if you can live with using dirty bottles, because it's the equivalent of using a blacklight in a hotel room. It reveals everything.

The stronger the light the better, but if it is so strong you need to wear sunglasses, you are better off with less light! ;)

Back