Gushing Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFC Rudy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have gushing bottles? I have seen a few posts lately on here and other forums about gushing bottles. I had the same problem for a while.

Are your bottles clean? Like many, I got lazy. When I would pour a beer, I rinsed it (I have a bottle washer in my sink) then put it on a bottle tree to dry. On bottling day, I rinsed again, sanitized and then bottled.

One day I had a few nasty bottles that needed to be cleaned. I put my bottle brush in my drill and used one-step to clean those few bottles. Since I already had everything, I decided to clean the “clean” bottles I was going to fill that day. I was amazed at how dirty my cleaning solution got from my “clean” bottles.

So, I am back to scrubbing bottles. It sucks, but I have not had a gusher since.

When I would pour a beer, I rinsed it (I have a bottle washer in my sink) then put it on a bottle tree to dry. On bottling day, I rinsed again, sanitized and then bottled.
That's what I do, and I never get gushers. I don't even have a bottle tree, I just put them on milk crates. And on bottling day, I typically just sanitize them without rinsing first. Maybe I'm just lucky and don't have gusher bacteria in my house.

Back