Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently saw Pepsodent toothpaste in the store and I was trying to remember the last time I'd used it. I remembered liking the taste so I bought it. So today I wanted to look up who now owns the brand. It's now owned by Church & Dwight CO, INC. Some of the other brands they own include Arm & Hammer baking soda, First Response at-home pregnancy tests, Nair hair removal product, Oxiclean, and Trojan condoms. An interesting product line.

Ok I'm back for a bit...

Today/this week has been Spring Clean the Garage/Brewery. Taking a well-earned vacation from work to get it done. Needless to say I didn't start until today. Wonderful husband wanted me to go through ALL of the random storage boxes/tubs in the garage. Made it through about half of them. What I have found:

1. His bronzed baby shoe. Yes they used to do that. His feet were big then too.
2. Wedding pictures we hadn't seen since, well, the wedding (19 years ago in August)
3. Hundreds of books. I have a thing about never throwing away books. Even those I will never read. Can't do it. So I have multiple tubs of books.
4. At least four homebrewing books that I glanced through at the store, thought 'I need that', then never followed through by reading them. Bad.
5. Many many CDs. That I no longer have a way of playing. Oh wait...my discman from 1991!!!
6. A fluorescent bulb stuck behind a tub, that when moved made said bulb explode. Neighbor across the street was very concerned as it went off like a .22 shot. No blood, no injury, just deaf for a few minutes.
7. Camping stuff that hadn't been cleaned after last camping trip. Ugh. Although I did find a pristine metal potato peeler.
8. About 5 lids to fermenting buckets that I no longer have.
9. Two lids to Lowes buckets that I DO still have.

Things I have NOT found:

1. My original NES that I swear to dog is still in a box somewhere in the garage. Yes I have a Nintendo Switch that can play all the games (and rewind!! It's awesome!!!) but STILL....
2. Nintendo 64 Donkey Kong Country game cartridge that I ALSO swear to dog is out here somewhere. Yes I still have my N64 from 1995.

Things I have learned (sometimes the hard way):
1. How to raise the middle rack in the dishwasher so the hop basket I left nasty a while back could be washed.
2. The fact that the older I get, the more ways I can find to cramp muscles I never knew I had (like my ribs). Ouch.
3. That the EGO leaf blower my wonderful husband bought a while back is the SHIZNIT for avoiding sweeping. Also for blowing random lighter stuff under shelves where I will never find it again.
4. That there is a finite limit to what I can stuff in the trash bin. Neighbor would once again be concerned if he saw me standing in said bin jumping up and down so I can force more into it. Because I don't want to go to the dump.
5. That my absolutely wonderful mother-in-law (I really do mean that, love that woman, she's amazing, not kidding) has used us to unload a bunch of crap that SHE didn't want to throw away. If my daughter didn't live in Idaho I'd send a bunch of stuff her way...

Anyway. Hope I made you all giggle.

Talking about missing N64 games, my Harvest Moon cartridge has been missing since 2009. I miss the simplicity of doing days worth of chores from the comfort of pajamas on a couch. And avoiding the real ones.

5. Many many CDs. That I no longer have a way of playing. Oh wait...my discman from 1991!!!

Random Drunkin thought:

Seriously? I still only buy my music on Cds or occasionally vinyl. Since I pay for a fair amount of music, I want to own it, not rent it. And if it is in the "cloud" it is only rented, or living in rented space, not yours forever.

I occasionally make mixed cassettes to play in a couple of my older vehicles. I make mixed Cds too with an Roland recorder. Can make them with computer, but quality is not as good. So I'm sure some will some will disregard me as an irrational cook.

I still find it hard to believe most people have settled for compressed music files out of sub-optimal, cheap music devices. Not that I'm surprised, given the state of our culture.

I was super happy to listen to pink floyd all night every night on an akai 8-track, ka-chunk every once in a while when it switched tracks lol.

Vinyl always crackled. Sure, we swept the vinyl with our Disk Cleaners and the secret juice. Still.

I'm no audiophile. But I do like music. Digital stuff, even streaming, seems better than anything we had back in the days.

And regarding random thoughts...

If you're a sole singer, can you still have a band name? It seems that "one guy singing" goes by his name, but if he adds folks behind him, now they need a name like "The Beatles". I think if I went on the road by myself, I'd still go by a band name. You know, "Pawn Takes Queen". I suppose folks might be disappointed it's just one odd chap, but why not?

I'm trying to think of an example of this, but coming up blank.

Flyers for "Pawn Takes Queen" cast into a largely obtuse public could provoke an unintended outcome depending on where one is. Like, Florida these days...

I wouldn't be so eager to knock digital music if I was still rocking cassettes - which are a terrible media for music that matters...

Cheers!

Rockin out in my 100% analog 40 year old diesels, no chips allowed unless they crunch when you bite them! {;

Besides, last time I checked, Cds have the benefits of digital without going away when device or subscription ends.
And regarding random thoughts...

If you're a sole singer, can you still have a band name? It seems that "one guy singing" goes by his name, but if he adds folks behind him, now they need a name like "The Beatles". I think if I went on the road by myself, I'd still go by a band name. You know, "Pawn Takes Queen". I suppose folks might be disappointed it's just one odd chap, but why not?

I'm trying to think of an example of this, but coming up blank.

Ultra Vivid Scene is one that comes to mind.

Cds have the benefits of digital without going away when device or subscription ends.

Said nothing about CDs. I have a crapton of them still, though I've digitized them all.
And if the trucks aren't CD-compatible I get the listening to cassettes thing, though I'd probably listen to radio - if there is radio out there...

Cheers!

It wasn't all that long ago that I intentionally downloaded 64kbps MP3s just to maximize the number of songs on my 128MB MP3 player.

C'mon guys!! I'm already agonizing over the leak in my garage roof that did some damage to my own preferred mobile-music player and trying decide if I should give it a rebuild so I can install and use it in my current van:
IMG_1592.jpg

C'mon guys!! I'm already agonizing over the leak in my garage roof that did some damage to my own preferred mobile-music player and trying decide if I should give it a rebuild so I can install and use it in my current van:
View attachment 843665
Does said van have wall to wall to ceiling purple shag carpet?

Groovy.

Speaking of video games (we were, right? A while ago? Just trying to stay current) yesterday I bought Mario Kart 8 for the switch. Haven't gotten into a driving game since the old xbox project gotham days. This one is FUN. Don't need the fancy wheel or pedals (available on allmymonezygone for $179, geez), just the controller and alone time. Fun fact: wonderful husband is one of THOSE guys that plays FPS games and swears vociferously at people he will never see (whose names are all f***ing camper apparently). You do NOT interrupt when this is going on because the world won't be saved. However, when I myself am playing something, all bets are off. 'See this meme I just found?' 'Come look at what I made for breakfast.' 'Where did you put {random object} that I need RIGHT NOW for something I'm going to do in three hours?'. Yah, double standards suck.

Depends on whether you used lossy (eg mp3 or aac) or lossless (eg flac or alac) compression.

Brew on :mug:
I still have a couple boxes of SACD's and DVD- audio discs. I used to listen to them regularly in NY where I had a dedicated 26'x16' a/v room. Much less room where I'm at now so player, hi-rez discs, and surround speakers are sitting boxed up.

Depends on whether you used lossy (eg mp3 or aac) or lossless (eg flac or alac) compression.

Brew on :mug:

I always use 320Kbps for MP3s - that's the highest quality/least lossy standard for MP3 recording. And at 70-something years of age I doubt I have the ability to discern the difference between that and the Red Book Standard format it was recorded from anyway, so it's all good...

Cheers!

And if the trucks aren't CD-compatible I get the listening to cassettes thing, though I'd probably listen to radio - if there is radio out there...

Cheers!

If one wants to quibble., who says they are all trucks?

IMG_1425.JPG

Radio? I mostly get similar isht as you do. Not into sports, talk or the autotuned crap on most radio, though there is one very local 100W one that is often amusing.

View attachment 843665

Friend, I feel your pain, but even I would say it's time to move a little further down the time line, music equipment wise.

What I would give to be 18, driving my Willys MB with Craig Power Play plus booster amp in the ammo box between the seats, case of Ballentine Ale in the back, along with old speakers off a big portable "HiFi". Likely playing stuff like Agustus Pablo, Little Feat, the Dead or Michael Hurley.

But the Jeep rusted out long ago, and fabricating the rubber push wheals and finding the right belts, let alone likely capacitor issues in above rig, ...on the other hand, if it was ones mission to restore such a thing, I'm sure it is possible, albeit likely a waist of time many folk's opinions..

Friend, I feel your pain, but even I would say it's time to move a little further down the time line, music equipment wise.

What I would give to be 18, driving my Willys MB with Craig Power Play plus booster amp in the ammo box between the seats, case of Ballentine Ale in the back, along with old speakers off a big portable "HiFi". Likely playing stuff like Agustus Pablo, Little Feat, the Dead or Michael Hurley.

But the Jeep rusted out long ago, and fabricating the rubber push wheals and finding the right belts, let alone likely capacitor issues in above rig, ...on the other hand, if it was ones mission to restore such a thing, I'm sure it is possible, albeit likely a waist of time many folk's opinions..
For me it's not so much about the vehicle...I've always had a utilitarian approach to those and equally miss my 1998 Jeep Cherokee and my 1976 Eldorado (which had a built in 8-track deck!)... It's about the Sparks, Japan, XTC, and movie-soundtracks to "FM" and Star Wars that I have on 8-track and not in any other format...plus the hundreds of others which while I also have on vinyl and/or now digital (my preferred formats being uncompressed 24/96 or 24/192 or at least FLACs)...
There's just no replacing the 'atmosphere', both sonic and visual, of having "Space Oddity" poking out from under the dash and a large case of 8-tracks as my armrest.
:mug:

You know you've watched a few too many Clint Eastwood movies when you wander into the basement where you keep your kegs, and you look at the sheets you've taped on the wall where you make tic marks every draft (because you're too lazy to make a @day_trippr electronic superduper computerized flow counter with bells and whistles and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us) and you realize it was a good night and you might not have marked down every trip to the keg, and you IMMEDIATELY hear Dirty Harry's voice in your head saying, "Was it three pints or was it four? To tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost count myself"

I wish to extrapolate(is that the right word?🤷‍♂️) the "Scroedinger's cat" theory to children:
When a person has more than 1 child, it is possible for any child to simultaneously be the "most liked" child and yet also be the 'most likely to get you arrested for murder' child.
I also feel that it is also likely that these same titles can be bestowed on any of their other siblings instantly pending the amount of OJ they just spilled inverse to your effort to clean that mess. (Aka "oops, I spilled some-- let me clean this without you saying a damn word" vs "oh, what's that? You say I am spilling some juice? "(while giving you a look like 'Samuel L Jackson daring you to say what 1 more time look' from Pulp Fiction-while holding the OJ carton upside down right in front of you).

Or that might just be me...

Back