Random Drunken Thoughts Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1705373578999.png

I called from our "work" phone (voip) & am on hold there too

outgoing "please continue to hold" messages are synced within femtoseconds between the 2

interesting: the 2nd call has gone from having 9 callers ahead, down to 3, while continuing to be "next" on the 1st call

I'd love to be smart enough to set up a conversation between ChatGPT and Monica. The two of them have been gracing my default Chrome page ever since those Google knuckleheads just dumped them on me to apparently babysit them, without so much as a "By your leave". They comment on every search I perform, usually with eminently boring and cautious content. But sometimes one of them is insistent about something of which the other totally disagrees. It could be entertaining watching them go at it.

Like just now, I happened to run across a wine article which reminded me to ask Google if the "buttery" character commonly found in chardonnay is from diacetyl - because I had a sip of a chard the other day which was gawdawful loaded with what I've always associated with diacetyl. Note that I have no idea which one of these two nags is right.

ChatGPT:
Yes, the buttery flavor in Chardonnay is often associated with the presence of diacetyl. Diacetyl is a compound that can develop during the winemaking process, particularly during fermentation and aging in oak barrels. It imparts a buttery or creamy character to the wine. Winemakers may intentionally encourage or control the levels of diacetyl in Chardonnay to achieve the desired flavor profile, known as "buttery Chardonnay."

Monica: The buttery flavor in Chardonnay is not from diacetyl. Diacetyl is a compound that can contribute to a buttery flavor in other fermented beverages like beer, but it is not typically associated with Chardonnay. The buttery flavor in Chardonnay is primarily due to a combination of factors, including the grape variety itself, the winemaking techniques used, and the aging process.

So, yeah, it could be fun! :p

I'd love to be smart enough to set up a conversation between ChatGPT and Monica. The two of them have been gracing my default Chrome page ever since those Google knuckleheads just dumped them on me to apparently babysit them, without so much as a "By your leave". They comment on every search I perform, usually with eminently boring and cautious content. But sometimes one of them is insistent about something of which the other totally disagrees. It could be entertaining watching them go at it.

Like just now, I happened to run across a wine article which reminded me to ask Google if the "buttery" character commonly found in chardonnay is from diacetyl - because I had a sip of a chard the other day which was gawdawful loaded with what I've always associated with diacetyl. Note that I have no idea which one of these two nags is right.

ChatGPT: Yes, the buttery flavor in Chardonnay is often associated with the presence of diacetyl. Diacetyl is a compound that can develop during the winemaking process, particularly during fermentation and aging in oak barrels. It imparts a buttery or creamy character to the wine. Winemakers may intentionally encourage or control the levels of diacetyl in Chardonnay to achieve the desired flavor profile, known as "buttery Chardonnay."

Monica: The buttery flavor in Chardonnay is not from diacetyl. Diacetyl is a compound that can contribute to a buttery flavor in other fermented beverages like beer, but it is not typically associated with Chardonnay. The buttery flavor in Chardonnay is primarily due to a combination of factors, including the grape variety itself, the winemaking techniques used, and the aging process.

So, yeah, it could be fun! :p
There's finally a way to make the robots fight each other and ultimately humanity wins.

Cue making computer play tic tac toe in "WarGames"

You inspired me to learn something about malolactic fermentation.
https://www.masterclass.com/article...c-fermentation-in-wine#2rp8GVugIuEEFLT6qMWV1W

Right. I would have been shocked to read otherwise, that character cannot be denied.
I think Monica needs to be sent in chains to "re-education camp for AI bots" 😁

Cheers!

There's finally a way to make the robots fight each other and ultimately humanity wins.

Cue making computer play tic tac toe in "WarGames"
I was thinking more along the lines of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots

THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS:
1. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."
2. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."
3. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish."
4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."
5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."
6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."
7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."
8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."
9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."
10. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."
12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."
13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."
14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."
15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."
16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."
17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."
18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."
19. "My fiancée and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

And a bunch of pithy thoughts to start your day :)

1. When one door closes and another door opens, you are probably in prison.
2. To me, "drink responsibly" means don't spill it.
3. Age 60 might be the new 40, but 9:00 pm is the new midnight.
4. It's the start of a brand new day, and I'm off like a herd of turtles.
5. The older I get, the earlier it gets late.
6. When I say, "The other day," I could be referring to any time between yesterday and 15 years ago.
7. I remember being able to get up without making sound effects.
8. I had my patience tested. I'm negative.
9. Remember, if you lose a sock in the dryer, it comes back as a Tupperware lid that doesn't fit any of your containers.
10. If you're sitting in public and a stranger takes the seat next to you, just stare straight ahead and say, "Did you bring the money?"
11. When you ask me what I am doing today, and I say "nothing," it does not mean I am free. It means I am doing nothing.
12. I finally got eight hours of sleep. It took me three days, but whatever.
13. I run like the winded.
14. I hate when a couple argues in public, and I missed the beginning and don't know whose side I'm on.
15. When someone asks what I did over the weekend, I squint and ask, "Why, what did you hear?"
16. When you do squats, are your knees supposed to sound like a goat chewing on an aluminum can stuffed with celery?
17. I don't mean to interrupt people. I just randomly remember things and get really excited.
18. When I ask for directions, please don't use words like "east."
19. Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Spend 30 seconds in my head. That'll freak you right out.
20. Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.
21. My luck is like a bald guy who just won a comb."

THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS:
1. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."
2. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."
3. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish."
4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."
5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."
6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."
7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."
8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."
9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."
10. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."
12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."
13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."
14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."
15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."
16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."
17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."
18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."
19. "My fiancée and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

That's just a whole lotta Karen all in one place.

Without hairdressers.

me, to water vendor, Malaga, Spain: ¿cuanto por el agua?

vendedor de agua: one hundred fifty pesetas

me: dos, por favor

vendedor de agua:
here you go

me: ¡muchas gracias!

vendedor de agua: you're welcome

a mi: hey, I tried!

water vendor: yo tambien

also a first at nearly 61 years old, I have developed a shellfish allergy.

FPIES: Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome. a RARE food allergy.

unlike a normal person with a food allergy, symptoms don't begin right after eating the affecting food. it may take hours (personal experience: up to 12) AFTER eating the offending food for symptoms to start.

& it seems I have CLASSIC symptoms.

no hives, no swelling, no problems breathing. just nausea, vomiting, headaches & sweating so much, sitting on the can sounds like rain. 2 to 10 hours of that.

also unlike normal food allergies, epi pen is useless.

not sure if the allergy is all seafood, I know tuna is OK. we're having salmon tonight.

doc says fish is OK, I'm almost afraid to try to see if mollusks have an effect or if it's just crustacea

Last edited:
also a first at nearly 61 years old, I have developed a shellfish allergy.

FPIES: Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome. a RARE food allergy.

unlike a normal person with a food allergy, symptoms don't begin right after eating the affecting food. it may take hours (personal experience: up to 12) AFTER eating the offending food for symptoms to start.

& it seems I have CLASSIC symptoms.

no hives, no swelling, no problems breathing. just nausea, vomiting, headaches & sweating so much, sitting on the can sounds like rain. 2 to 10 hours of that.

also unlike normal food allergies, epi pen is useless.

not sure if the allergy is all seafood, I know tuna is OK. we're having salmon tonight.

doc says fish is OK, I'm almost afraid to try to see if mollusks have an effect or if it's just crustacea
Sounds awful. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

Brew on :mug:

The friggin slime molds in bottom of the 12 keg keezer were getting a little too big for their britches, complaining when the light came on, and wafting stinky gas.

Had to clean the whole community out today. It was brutal, no doubt millions of organisms met their end.

Not so good for my back either, since most of the kegs were full, and me scrubbing a big low coffin freezer.

Anyway, have a better one, [;

I don't want to meet people like me. people like me are boring.
Yea, people like me are grumpy, opinionated, loud, out of shape, ...

My God. I've become my father.

Except I make great beer, and have awesome taste in music.

And bourbon.

Also the whole humble modesty thing I"ve got going.

SWMBO- "Sorry, I am about to start my period."
Me-"That explains it...."
SWMBO- " What does that mean?"
Me - "what does what mean?"
SWMBO- "that explains it... you said it last night as well, and then "forgot" what you were thinking"
me- I did?
SWMBO- Yes, You did.
Me- well obviously we drinking last night and I really can't be expected to remember that...

(apparently my self preservation skills still work when drunk)

When you realize that you're doomscrolling articles about the effect of doomscrolling articles about the effect of doomscrolling articles

But you're probably ok because you suddenly think, "I have 3 empty kegs and time enough to brew tomorrow!"

Latest posts

Back