Raleigh, NC via Utica, NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creatorsgame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings from Raleigh, NC. Born and raised in Utica, NY... but this month will mark my 14th year in the Raleigh area.

Had received a nice brewing kit from Northern Brewer at Christmas 3 years ago. My wife and I were looking at houses (wanted to have children and needed a larger house), so I never started the brewing process that year. Two summers ago we moved, and the beer kit boxes have remained in the garage untouched ever since.

Well, we had our first child last month and have our new routine down. With quarantine and all, I’ve got the itch to break out the brewing materials and have a go.

I had planned on using the garage to brew, but the summer heat in North Carolina isn’t conducive to yeast/fermentation. So I punched in a related question to the Google machine and landed on a thread here at Homebrewtalk. I feel like I’ve already learned a lot the last couple days, just reading thread after thread here. I’ve got quite a bit to learn. With that said, there is a serious and knowledgeable community here. I’m glad I’ve stumbled across this joint. This outfit clearly knows their stuff. So I’ll just hang up and listen. And, of course, learn.

I feel a bit like a deer in headlights at the moment. There is so much information, it is like paralysis by over-analysis. But I’ve got to start somewhere and I want to get brewing, make my inevitable mistakes, take notes, and perfect the craft.

Five years from now I would like to look back at this post and see how far I’ve come as a home brewer. I (as well as my wife) love well-crafted beer and want to try my hand at anything from a pumpkin Ale to a hazy NEIPA, a robust Porter to a decadent peanut butter Stout (might be my personal holy grail; definitely want to learn the nuances of brewing with PB but that isn’t an endeavor for a rookie like me), and anything in between.

Glad to have landed here, as there is such a wealth of information available. I hope to learn as much as I can, and in the future be a voice of knowledge myself.

Welcome to the forum and homebrewing! And congrats on the kid! I know all about the heat in the garage...in NE FL here. It can definitely be overwhelming with the amount of information at first...but once you get a few brews under your belt and get comfortable you'll do it with your eyes closed (just kidding-don't do that).

You have a great taste in beer (agreed with all you listed); I would only suggest starting slow and easy...get to know the ingredients...maybe do a SMASH or two. You don't want to try to tackle one of the bigguns until you are good with your process (sanitation, equipment, etc.). Anyway...best of luck to you in this endeavor! Always feel welcome to ask away. This website/forum is a great place to learn all kinds of stuff.

Welcome to the forum and homebrewing! And congrats on the kid! I know all about the heat in the garage...in NE FL here. It can definitely be overwhelming with the amount of information at first...but once you get a few brews under your belt and get comfortable you'll do it with your eyes closed (just kidding-don't do that).

You have a great taste in beer (agreed with all you listed); I would only suggest starting slow and easy...get to know the ingredients...maybe do a SMASH or two. You don't want to try to tackle one of the bigguns until you are good with your process (sanitation, equipment, etc.). Anyway...best of luck to you in this endeavor! Always feel welcome to ask away. This website/forum is a great place to learn all kinds of stuff.
Thank you!

I have a great aunt in Fort Pierce... that Florida heat and humidity is no joke.

Thank you!

I have a great aunt in Fort Pierce... that Florida heat and humidity is no joke.

I don't mind the heat. The humidity is ridiculous. I'm averaging 2-3 showers per day. If you go to take the trash down the driveway during mid-day, you need a shower when you get back inside.

Welcome to the community and Dad Club! Dad of 3 here (4, and twin 9 m.o.).

Quick tip to make sure the Mrs. stays happy with the brewing...do it early in the morning or later at night that way you can still help with the kid, or be like some of the regulars on here and put them to work!

^^ What Sammy said.

But watch out with the 6 year olds...they'll tell on you to their teacher when you let them help you bottle. Don't ask.

Or...wait until you have three teenagers like I do...and sneak to the garage to brew (late at night or early like Sammy said...haha)

Welcome to the community and Dad Club! Dad of 3 here (4, and twin 9 m.o.).

Quick tip to make sure the Mrs. stays happy with the brewing...do it early in the morning or later at night that way you can still help with the kid, or be like some of the regulars on here and put them to work!
Twins? Wow. That’s a lot of work.

We have our routine down. If I need some time here or there it will work out. The bigger problem for me will be clutter in the house. She assumed I would do it all in the garage; that isn’t going to fly in this heat. Now we have plenty of space indoors... but she is a bit OCD with things inside the house. Could get interesting!

^^ What Sammy said.

But watch out with the 6 year olds...they'll tell on you to their teacher when you let them help you bottle. Don't ask.

Or...wait until you have three teenagers like I do...and sneak to the garage to brew (late at night or early like Sammy said...haha)
My wife and I are both teachers, so I can appreciate those “sound bites.” Kids say the darndest things.

I’ve got some years before the teenage years. I hope that, assuming I find enjoyment and longevity in this hobby, it is something I can one day share with my son. Teach him the complexities of brewing but also teach him responsible alcohol use.

My wife and I are both teachers, so I can appreciate those “sound bites.” Kids say the darndest things.

I’ve got some years before the teenage years. I hope that, assuming I find enjoyment and longevity in this hobby, it is something I can one day share with my son. Teach him the complexities of brewing but also teach him responsible alcohol use.

Same here teacher couple! I'm Middle School, she's Elementary. Twins aren't so bad after having one already...you already know what to do you just have to multiply by two.

Greetings from Raleigh, NC. Born and raised in Utica, NY... but this month will mark my 14th year in the Raleigh area.

Had received a nice brewing kit from Northern Brewer at Christmas 3 years ago. My wife and I were looking at houses (wanted to have children and needed a larger house), so I never started the brewing process that year. Two summers ago we moved, and the beer kit boxes have remained in the garage untouched ever since.

Well, we had our first child last month and have our new routine down. With quarantine and all, I’ve got the itch to break out the brewing materials and have a go.

I had planned on using the garage to brew, but the summer heat in North Carolina isn’t conducive to yeast/fermentation. So I punched in a related question to the Google machine and landed on a thread here at Homebrewtalk. I feel like I’ve already learned a lot the last couple days, just reading thread after thread here. I’ve got quite a bit to learn. With that said, there is a serious and knowledgeable community here. I’m glad I’ve stumbled across this joint. This outfit clearly knows their stuff. So I’ll just hang up and listen. And, of course, learn.

I feel a bit like a deer in headlights at the moment. There is so much information, it is like paralysis by over-analysis. But I’ve got to start somewhere and I want to get brewing, make my inevitable mistakes, take notes, and perfect the craft.

Five years from now I would like to look back at this post and see how far I’ve come as a home brewer. I (as well as my wife) love well-crafted beer and want to try my hand at anything from a pumpkin Ale to a hazy NEIPA, a robust Porter to a decadent peanut butter Stout (might be my personal holy grail; definitely want to learn the nuances of brewing with PB but that isn’t an endeavor for a rookie like me), and anything in between.

Glad to have landed here, as there is such a wealth of information available. I hope to learn as much as I can, and in the future be a voice of knowledge myself.
Welcome!! I'm also originally from Upstate NY - Binghamton area. Love your Dooley and Schultz avatar, it takes me back to my youth. My parents once owned the steins. I wish I knew what happened to them, I'd love to own a set today.

Back