Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are on the fence about cost, I'll split a sack of MO with you. That's been my house malt for the last 4 years and I feel kinda naked without it.

If ezzie doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger, I'll split it with you. :D

I've got a full sack now, which should cover me for the next few months, but since we don't really know when the next buy will happen I would be comfortable with grabbing another half sack.

Edited to add: I'm currently sampling the first barleywine I brewed -- Sept. '07. It has finally mellowed from something you'd pour into a ditch and set on fire to slow the invading zombie horde into a pretty darn smooth sipper. Made with 20 pounds of Marris Otter, of course.

I believe I've got two bottles of that, too. You gave me two bottles of barley wine one day when you stopped by my house (I think it was when you came by to get your bread knife after last January's brewfest at my place). I was going to ping you and see if you thought it had aged enough because you told me it might need more time when you gave it to me.

I'm in no hurry. If this ends up going to the end of the month (which I doubt) then I would be in for another sac or two due to another payday. So whatever y'all decide is cool beans with me.

I haven't sent the details yet but I have commitments on 20 sacks at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others which would probably add another 10 sacks maybe. I'm trying to find enough commitments to justify a second pallet. If not, I'll gladly order whatever it takes to fill the first and start putting together an order for next month.
Is anyone here associated with CARBOY? I can have someone spread the word there.

Walker/Reel,

if this becomes a common occurrence, i know Reel has to make the official order, but i'd be glad to take spreadsheet duty for a grain buy later this year. I know its gotta be a pain with people ordering, backing out, and then being on the fence. ;) Let me know.

I haven't sent the details yet but I have commitments on 20 sacks at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others which would probably add another 10 sacks maybe. I'm trying to find enough commitments to justify a second pallet. If not, I'll gladly order whatever it takes to fill the first and start putting together an order for next month.
Is anyone here associated with CARBOY? I can have someone spread the word there.

If you have commitments for 20 sacks, then we are DFINITELY all set for 2 pallets. If you can get another 10 sacks, then we will come close to filling the second pallet, too.

I don't think anyone is associated with CARBOY... at least not that I know of. Skee is associated with TRUB, though.

Walker/Reel,

if this becomes a common occurrence, i know Reel has to make the official order, but i'd be glad to take spreadsheet duty for a grain buy later this year. I know its gotta be a pain with people ordering, backing out, and then being on the fence. ;) Let me know.

This is my first time managing the spreadsheet, and it's actually no bother at all doing it. I got real fancy with Excel, so adding items and people to it takes only a few seconds.

If I get tired of it, I'll turn it over to you, but for now, this has been super easy to deal with.

I'm in no hurry. I have ingredients on the way for a german helles from the beer captured book and I'm doing something from AMB this weekend so I can wait.

To further clarify....

If you have commitments for 20 sacks, it does push us into a second pallet, but the end user sees hardly any change in their costs.

With 35 sacks, the per-bag shipping charge is $2.23.
With 55 sacks, the per-bag shipping charge is $2.60.

That's only a $0.37 difference in the price per bag. If anyone bitches about the extra $0.37, I'll kick them square in the nuts.

Awesome, Put me in for a sack of BD-MOPA (Baird's Marris Otter).

Thanks!
:rockin:

From the 1st post in the thread:

Walker (yeah.. me) will be accepting PMs, and PMs only, for items to be ordered. If you post a request in this thread, I cannot guarantee you that I'll see it.

You're f*cking everything up, man.

But... I'll let it slide this time and add you anyway. :D

I got carried away, that part was a whole 17 pages ago... :eek:
PM sent with additional info.

I don't need any grains at the moment, but where is the pick-up location? If it's at a brewery maybe I'll stop by and have a few beers with you jerks.

We have picked up at the trucking depot in Morrisville before and it worked out really well. They just dropped the pallets in the parking lot and we split it up.

If ezzie doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger, I'll split it with you. :D
Excellent, I'll take you up on that.

I believe I've got two bottles of that, too. You gave me two bottles of barley wine one day when you stopped by my house
That's the one. It has really mellowed. It's still nearly 11% ABV, so mellow is a relative term, but the initial harshness from too-high fermentation temp has gone away. It's pretty thick and raisiny, so sip judiciously, but give it a try. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Chad

We have picked up at the trucking depot in Morrisville before and it worked out really well. They just dropped the pallets in the parking lot and we split it up.

Delivery will be at Fullsteam in Durham. They have a fork lift so that we don't have to pay the $75 or whatever it is for the lift gate. Plus, I can drink beer while I'm splitting the load.

Depending on delivery date and time I might be able to make the trip just for the meet and drink.

BrewBear00 just dropped a malt bomb on us. 35 additional sacks.

We already had 35 in there, plus his 35, plus the one that either me or ezzie is splitting with Chad, plus potentially one or two more from guys who are already in and are considering another sack....

that puts us at 71 bags for sure. Maybe 73.

Holy f*cking sh*t.

We've got room for a dozen or so more bags before we spill to a THIRD pallet.

skee: have fun dividing this crap up. MWahahahahahah!

Oh, and dare I mention it? We're pretty damn close to jumping into the 4000+ pound range, which would make prices drop. :D

my 3 year old is using my computer (where the spreadsheet master is), but I'll get it updated and uploaded in a little while.

my 3 year old is using my computer (where the spreadsheet master is), but I'll get it updated and uploaded in a little while.

I actually thought that was who posted the previous post under your login.

My bad. BearBrew00 only had 34 sacks, not 35. Wussy.... :rolleyes:

Spreadsheet updated. It shows 70 sacks.

1 more sack will be added for sure (the MO split with Chad..... we just haven't decided on a brand yet).

And there is another person who wants in (he just PM'ed me) but he won't be sending me specifics until later tonight.

Unreal.

Oh... and I'm pretty sure we're gonna hit 4000#. With the MO not yet specified, we are at 3,835 lbs

3 more 55# sacks would put us at exactly 4000.

But, now that 4000# looks like a possibility, I am not sure I understand the pricing in the catalog

It has a 1000 lb and under price, a 2000-4000 lb price, and 8000 price, and a 12000 lb price.

There are some holes in there, yes? Like.... 1500#. Or 5000#. What rate do those get? REELALE? Do you know?

ah, hell... forget it.

the next price break is only about $0.01/lb on most things. That's not even worth tracking. Screw it.

Walker said:
Oh... and I'm pretty sure we're gonna hit 4000#. With the MO not yet specified, we are at 3,835 lbs

3 more 55# sacks would put us at exactly 4000.

But, now that 4000# looks like a possibility, I am not sure I understand the pricing in the catalog

It has a 1000 lb and under price, a 2000-4000 lb price, and 8000 price, and a 12000 lb price.

There are some holes in there, yes? Like.... 1500#. Or 5000#. What rate do those get? REELALE? Do you know?

Those are quantity price points, or bins if you will. For instance, you pay the same price for 4000-7999 lbs. Has nothing to do with previous price discount once you hit the next bin.

Those are quantity price points, or bins if you will. For instance, you pay the same price for 4000-7999 lbs. Has nothing to do with previous price discount once you hit the next bin.

I understand how it SHOULD work, but their charts don't make sense.

They state a price for under 1000, and then there is a price bucket from 2000 to 4000.

1500# falls into one of those two buckets.

Walker said:
I understand how it SHOULD work, but their charts don't make sense.

They state a price for under 1000, and then there is a price bucket from 2000 to 4000.

1500# falls into one of those two buckets.

You're right, 1500 falls directly in the bucket that is marked >1000<2000. That is the quantity that gets the price point break.

I still don't understand, but... whatever. :D

(I don't see a bucket marked >1000<2000)

Does this help? It's from their 2010 catalog, I didn't check their latest.

Prices are discounted according to the total malt ordered on a single order. These price breaks are as follows:
&#61623; &#8804; 1,000
&#61623; 2,000 – 4,000 lbs.
&#61623; 8,000 lbs.
&#61623; 12,000 lbs.
&#61623; 32,000 lbs

Does this help? It's from their 2010 catalog, I didn't check their latest.

Prices are discounted according to the total malt ordered on a single order. These price breaks are as follows:
&#61623; &#8804; 1,000
&#61623; 2,000 &#8211; 4,000 lbs.
&#61623; 8,000 lbs.
&#61623; 12,000 lbs.
&#61623; 32,000 lbs

That's the same thing printed in the new catalog. I'm just saying that it doesn't really make sense.

If I had to guess, I would say that:

The first bucket is for less than or equal to 1000#.
The second bucket is for 1001# to 7999#.
The third bucket is for 8000# to 11999#.
The fourth bucket is for 12000# to 31999#.
The fifth bucket is for 32000# or more.

If that's the buckets, they did a piss-poor job of explaining it. The weird description of the first two buckets is my point of confusion.

Most are just listed as a weight value. But those first two are listed as ranges instead of a singular weight, and those being ranges with holes between them and the buckets next to them.... That's what's confusing.

That's the same thing printed in the new catalog. I'm just saying that it doesn't really make sense.

If I had to guess, I would say that:

The first bucket is for less than or equal to 1000#.
The second bucket is for 1001# to 7999#.
The third bucket is for 8000# to 11999#.
The fourth bucket is for 12000# to 31999#.
The fifth bucket is for 32000# or more.

If that's the buckets, they did a piss-poor job of explaining it. The weird description of the first two buckets is my point of confusion.

Most are just listed as a weight value. But those first two are listed as ranges instead of a singular weight, and those being ranges with holes between them and the buckets next to them.... That's what's confusing.

Yep, those are the categories. Except the 2d bucket is any quantity more than 2000 lbs. but less than 4000 lbs. And the third price break does not occur until you exceed 8000 lbs. I can't defend their definitions, but I think it's just assumed that the more you order, the less you pay, per unit (lbs.) based on their set price point breaks. I think they deal in larger much quantities routinely.

Yep, those are the categories. Except the 2d bucket is any quantity more than 2000 lbs. but less than 4000 lbs. And the third price break does not occur until you exceed 8000 lbs. I can't defend their definitions, but I think it's just assumed that the more you order, the less you pay, per unit (lbs.) based on their set price point breaks. I think they deal in larger much quantities routinely.

It still has holes in it, but.... whatever. I don't even care.

Everyone should just assume that we are getting the 2000-4000 price, cause it's unclear what happens when we land between 4000 (the top end of this bucket) and 8000 (the next price break). :D

I added the split bag of MO for me and Chad, and BrewBear00 upped his order by one sack. We are at 72 bags (3885 lbs). (At least one guy is still going to send me his order request tonight.)

marc06 is in for 5 sacks.

total is at 79 sacks (4265 lbs... aka "a metric f*ck ton")

5 more and sacks and the 2nd pallet is full.

Back