Raleigh Area Group Grain Buy-Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pallet rate is a flat rate, as is the fuel surcharge. Same price whether there are 20 bags or 42. It's just that 42 is the maximum number of bags per pallet.

Most companies charge a flat rate to ship a pallet. It is immaterial how many items are on the pallet. The only impact would be the shipping charge per sack would increase.

Pallet rate is a flat rate, as is the fuel surcharge. Same price whether there are 20 bags or 42. It's just that 42 is the maximum number of bags per pallet.

Ok. That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.

So, the price per bag keeps getting better (b/c of the flat pallet rate) as more bags are added to the order until we get to 42 bags. If we go over 42, then the price per bag will go back up because a second pallet becomes involved and we pay another pallet and fuel charge.

Keep that in mind. We do not NEED to get to 42 bags to place an order, but each bag is better priced the closer we get to 42.

If we go over 42, then the price per bag will go back up because a second pallet becomes involved and we pay another pallet and fuel charge.

Exactly, except the fuel surcharge is per shipment, not per pallet. It's only charged one time, regardless. It's also charged on their bulk shipments....the ones in grain trucks with augers.

I might be talked into a second sack if someone wants to suggest another common base grain. Currently I'm getting 1 cm 2 row.

This will definitely make my storage issue double. I can probably get away with storing 1 of them in my home office, but not both. Can I store this in my shed until it starts getting warmer outside?

I might be talked into a second sack if someone wants to suggest another common base grain. Currently I'm getting 1 cm 2 row.

This will definitely make my storage issue double. I can probably get away with storing 1 of them in my home office, but not both. Can I store this in my shed until it starts getting warmer outside?

I like using Pilsner as a base malt, even for pale ales. It really lets the hops shine through.

3 at most. 2 being more conservative. Especially if you dont know how much grain it takes or what gravity you want your brew to be.

half-sack is what, 27.5 pounds? You saying a grain bill could potentially call for >12 lbs of base grain for a 5 gallon batch? Sounds a little high to me, then again I only got one brew under my belt. Also, I assume it'd be up to us, the end-customer, to do the actual splitting of the sacks?

So a half-sack should be good for 2-3 batches? or more?

yes. 27.5# (half sack) will probably get you 3 batches. That allows 9# of base grain per batch, and you'd be using some specialty stuff in addition to the base malt.

It's hard to beat the price on the bulk buy.

5th Season and American brewmaster charge $1.50/lb for domestic 2-row domestic with no shipping.

Compare that to the Canadian 2-row from Country Malt. Even with just the half pallet we have now, a sack of that stuff is only coming in at $38 after shipping. That's only $0.72/pound.

Actually, it's about $1/pound if you buy a full sack from American Brewmaster, but still... the price is much better from Country Malt on the bulk buy.

You could buy a full sack, throw half of it away, and still come out better than buying locally.

Reelale... question on this.

If the weight does not break 2000#, there is the one issue that the grain price is a little higher (this isn't a HUGE difference... it's just a few cents per pound, so a couple bucks difference in the price of a sack), but is there a higher shipping charge if the pallet isn't full (42 sacks)?

Or do they just charge that pallet rate ($165 + 20% fuel surcharge) regardless of how many bags are on it? I wasn't sure about that part.

I just went back and looked at the round 3 thread and because the order now comes from Hickory, instead of NY, the freight charge is $65 + 20% instead of $165.

Reel, please confirm this is correct. Save a few more $ potentially.

I think that this will help me convince the swmbo to lemme split a sack with someone. Any idea when this would be in though? I'm expecting to do my next brew either the last week of Feb or first week of March, on a saturday.

I just went back and looked at the round 3 thread and because the order now comes from Hickory, instead of NY, the freight charge is $65 + 20% instead of $165.

Reel, please confirm this is correct. Save a few more $ potentially.

Yeah, I forgot about that. WIll let Reel confirm.

half-sack is what, 27.5 pounds? You saying a grain bill could potentially call for >12 lbs of base grain for a 5 gallon batch? Sounds a little high to me, then again I only got one brew under my belt. Also, I assume it'd be up to us, the end-customer, to do the actual splitting of the sacks?

If you want to pick one, I'll split it with you, as long as it's not 2 row.

Its up to whomever you are splitting it with when/how you will split it. I have done 10-12 lbs base grain in a number of my brews, they were higher gravity and I was not being stingy with leftover wort, i.e. leaving .75 gallons left in the kettle after boil. If you are concerned about parceling out your grain to get maximum batches from a half sack then you could do 3 batches easily. Or you could do milds/blondes at 6 lbs base and get four batches. Or berliner weiss and get 5 batches, or half batches and get 8 batches. It all depends on what you are going to brew and how you are brewing it.

I think that this will help me convince the swmbo to lemme split a sack with someone. Any idea when this would be in though? I'm expecting to do my next brew either the last week of Feb or first week of March, on a saturday.

It all depends on how fast the order builds and when/if those involved decide that "this is good enough".

If Ryan's post about the pallet charge being $65 is correct, then a full sack of that Canadian 2-row falls to under $32.

What are you looking to split? I'm going to order at least one sack of base malt & would be open to splitting another. I'll probably go with pilsner/lager for the full sack and would be happy to split a sack of domestic 2-row or even something like Marris Otter, Halcyon, Optic, et al.

Yeah, $65.00 from Hickory. At least that is what it was last order. I didn't really even pay that much attention. Good catch Skee.

What are you looking to split? I'm going to order at least one sack of base malt & would be open to splitting another. I'll probably go with pilsner/lager for the full sack and would be happy to split a sack of domestic 2-row or even something like Marris Otter, Halcyon, Optic, et al.

Well, I still need to run it by the swmbo, but I would want something I could use at least in an amber ale, as that will be my next brew, and then I dunno what I will be brewing after that. My last brew used Marris Otter (which was also my first brew) so it holds a special place in my heart, but if its ridiculously more expensive than the domestic 2-row I'll probably just head the domestic route then.

Well, I still need to run it by the swmbo, but I would want something I could use at least in an amber ale, as that will be my next brew, and then I dunno what I will be brewing after that. My last brew used Marris Otter (which was also my first brew) so it holds a special place in my heart, but if its ridiculously more expensive than the domestic 2-row I'll probably just head the domestic route then.

You can get a sack of Maris Otter for about $42. That's $10 more than canadian two-row, but is still a HELL of of a good deal.

You can get a sack of Maris Otter for about $42. That's $10 more than canadian two-row, but is still a HELL of of a good deal.

For example. A sack of Marris Otter is around $72 retail, so you're saving around $30/bag.

Domestic 2-row is aorund $50-52, so there you're saving around $20/bag.

I'm set on base grains for awhile. But I just looked at my inventory and I would like to split a bag of Crystal 60 and/or Cara-pils with someone. A three-way split would be ideal. I can't pass-up the savings!

I'm set on base grains for awhile. But I just looked at my inventory and I would like to split a bag of Crystal 60 and/or Cara-pils with someone. A three-way split would be ideal. I can't pass-up the savings!

I was thinking about some C60, but was hoping for more than a 3-way split. I don't really need 18# of it. :D

I was thinking about some C60, but was hoping for more than a 3-way split. I don't really need 18# of it. :D

Yeah, that might be a little much. I still have some C15 from the very 1st buy!
3 or 4 way split would be fine.

reel/barc... we're get the sweet end of this. foltster and skee are bad at math. 55/5 = 11, but they only want 10. :D

Back