Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t yet but that sounds fantastic! One of the best things about this grain bill is how versatile it is. I’ve made small changes with everything else and it’s come out great, so why not a lager yeast?!

I have a pack of Wyeast 2112 Cali Lager that I would like to do something other than a Cali Common with. This might be a good candidate :cool:

I have a pack of Wyeast 2112 Cali Lager that I would like to do something other than a Cali Common with. This might be a good candidate :cool:

I’ve never used 2112 but it sounds perfect. Clean, malt forward, and and able to ferment at somewhat warmer temps than other lager yeast. I’d say give it a try, then don’t forget to report back with results!
:mug:

Worked great with English yeast - Imperial A9 Pub.

As others have noted, it's a wonderful base with lots of potential. I can easily imagine adding some pumpkin and spices...

Satisfying dense (but not sweet) maltiness and bitterness upfront, trailed by a touch of esters, a touch of floral, a touch of the herbal/medicinal, even a little afterthought of candy sweetness, raisins... even sherry-like in the aftertaste, in a way? Drank a whole glass trying to nail it down! Smooth as hell. Can't think of commercial equivalent (closest, though not all that close at all, might be Arrogant Bastard?).

My preference: served ice-cold (extra few min in the freezer) and carbed 2.2ish

Many thanks Mysticmead.

It's smooth delivery and drinkability is what makes this brew so harmful. Way to easy to over indulge and be late for work. lol
Eric
p.s.
I have another batch in the fermenter now, due to finish on sunday.
I can hardly wait

Last edited:
Well I finally got to making this, thanks MysticMead-though I’ve not seen a post from you in this thread in some time?

I brewed Monday, using a slightly scaled version of the original recipe for my equipment and efficiency, including the specified CaraAroma and Melanoiden (my local HBS, AIH is awesome) and the honey. Only true intended change was slightly lowered the IBU’s by delaying the 30 minute Cascade to 15 minutes to get closer to 20IBU as no one I serve my beer to is fond of hoppy beers. I also pitched WLP 004 Irish Ale as I wanted the style esters to compliment the namesake.

Brew day was uneventful, though OG ended up a bit low at 1.050. Fermentation was a little slow starting at 66F but ramped up fast and hot inside the Anvil SS conical-krausen has dropped as of day 4 and I plan on ramping up the temp to 69-70F over this weekend and checking FG late Saturday or Sunday and kegging and crashing as soon as it’s stable to get it aging and delicious.

Raging Red is in the keg. FG stalled a little high-even after I ramped up the temps and swirled things around, checked Saturday early and tonight (4 days apart) and it’s 1.018.

Oh well, once it matures a bit I’m sure a nice, light 4.2% red will allow having 2-3!

The less dangerous fg is nothing to be ashamed of. I am drinking my last go now and it is quickly turning into my house favorite. Brewing again next weekend.
Eric

Can the honey be omitted? I've seen several other Irish Red recipes and those to not have honey.

I brewed it once without (only because I found the bottle still in the bag while cleaning up). It turned out fine, but I’ve always made sure to include it in all subsequent batches, if that’s telling at all.

Just finished brewing this. Ended up about .08 gravity points lower than the recipe. Still learning the new system :)

Attachments

• 20191215_191216.jpg
    20191215_191216.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 138
I'll say this is the longest I've EVER had an ale ferment! It's on day 12 and still going crazy. Krausen is dropping but the yeast are still going ape crazy in the fermenter!

So I got into the last batch, last nite. The batch was the maiden voyage for the ferm chamber. I made a huge mistake pitching to hot, but the yeast survived and it has a nice citris finnish? All in all another good batch!
Eric

Just pulled a sample. It attenuated down to 1.009 and it's very boozy/hot. My fermentation temps were 64 for 12 days then I'm bumped to 66f for 24 hours and let it ride out at 68f after that. Fermentation lasted 12/13 days. Krausen dropped at day 13 at 68f. This was with wlp001. Is this normal for this brew? Will it get better with age? Will the heat dissipate? I won't be repitching this slurry on my next brews. I was going to brew a space dust clone next but I may just go with a light cream ale to build up the slurry for the space dust clone.

Just pulled a sample. It attenuated down to 1.009 and it's very boozy/hot. My fermentation temps were 64 for 12 days then I'm bumped to 66f for 24 hours and let it ride out at 68f after that. Fermentation lasted 12/13 days. Krausen dropped at day 13 at 68f. This was with wlp001. Is this normal for this brew? Will it get better with age? Will the heat dissipate? I won't be repitching this slurry on my next brews. I was going to brew a space dust clone next but I may just go with a light cream ale to build up the slurry for the space dust clone.

That's only a degree or two cooler than I normally go with that same yeast, and yours finished several points lower and took twice as long to get there. This recipe does get better with a little age (IMO) but is typically very good fresh, and Ive never had anyone comment on it being boozy at all. Do you recall how your mash went for this batch in terms of temp, start/finish?

That's only a degree or two cooler than I normally go with that same yeast, and yours finished several points lower and took twice as long to get there. This recipe does get better with a little age (IMO) but is typically very good fresh, and Ive never had anyone comment on it being boozy at all. Do you recall how your mash went for this batch in terms of temp, start/finish?

Mash was spot on, however, there was around a 24 hour lag time with the yeast pitch. Thinking it may have been under pitched. I used a pint jar of slurry from a previous batch. Anywho I'm thinking the yeast is just pooped out.

Going to be brewing this one next weekend. Only difference is I'm not using honey but added a half pound of honey malt. It's not going to be the same but that's what HB is all about. Also, will be using San Diego Super for yeast.

Brewed this exactly as original back on Nov 30th. Kegged it for the new year eve party. Came out very very good and with a punch with the 6% ABV! We almost finished the keg between 4 of us! I was expecting it to have a stronger red color but after few more days it got more reddish. Great recipe!

Mash was spot on, however, there was around a 24 hour lag time with the yeast pitch. Thinking it may have been under pitched. I used a pint jar of slurry from a previous batch. Anywho I'm thinking the yeast is just pooped out.

Yes, you underpitched. I was going to post that but you beat me to it. That's why it took so long and ended with fusels.

Here's what I've come up with given what I have to hand:

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume      
3.63 kg          Swaen©Ale (7.1 EBC)                              Grain         1          75.2 %        2.37 L      
0.30 kg          Special B Malt (354.6 EBC)                       Grain         2          6.2 %         0.20 L      
0.23 kg          Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC)                Grain         3          4.7 %         0.15 L      
0.22 kg          Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)           Grain         4          4.6 %         0.14 L      
28.00 g          Tettnang [4.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min          Hop           5          14.7 IBUs     -            
28.00 g          Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min                 Hop           6          12.6 IBUs     -            
0.45 kg          Honey - Wildflower [Whirlpool]                   Honey         7          9.3 %         0.31 L      
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik (Home ##1)                            Yeast         8          -             -        
------------

Do you think that'll get me close? I also have biscuit malt to hand if that'd help

I'll be fermenting quite low to get a clean profile from the Voss.

Last edited:
I am so excited, finally brewing my first beer by myself since my group of friends sort of disbanded (brew-wise) last year. Looking at all the comments, this looks like a great beer to brew for the upcoming St. Patricks day

I am planning on brewing the original with some tweaks. Gonna add some rye malt, leaning towards 12.5%, removing a half lb Pale Malt and adding 1.5lb rye malt

I got some questions though in regards to the hop scheduling. The original recipe says Crystal at First Wort and Cascade as 30 min boil. To me, I would think that cascade would be a better bittering and to keep the crystal for aroma. I might be biased cause im thinking crystal would also pair nicely with the rye im adding. Would it make sense to switch the hop schedule?

Irish Red Rye:

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I am so excited, finally brewing my first beer by myself since my group of friends sort of disbanded (brew-wise) last year. Looking at all the comments, this looks like a great beer to brew for the upcoming St. Patricks day

I am planning on brewing the original with some tweaks. Gonna add some rye malt, leaning towards 12.5%, removing a half lb Pale Malt and adding 1.5lb rye malt

I got some questions though in regards to the hop scheduling. The original recipe says Crystal at First Wort and Cascade as 30 min boil. To me, I would think that cascade would be a better bittering and to keep the crystal for aroma. I might be biased cause im thinking crystal would also pair nicely with the rye im adding. Would it make sense to switch the hop schedule?

Irish Red Rye:

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

It would make it a different beer. I say do it and let us know what you think. For what it's worth I've brewed this several times now, per the original recipe, because it's just so damned good as is.

Brewed the original recipe about 6 years ago and didn't have anything else in the pipeline at the time so from brew day to finished drinking was about 2 months.
Turned out very good but will brew again and give it more time to mature.

This time I'm thinking of using a sachet of WY Cali Lager yeast I need to use up.
Or does this need the crispness of Chico or another high attenuating yeast so it doesn't become too cloying?

Brewed the original recipe about 6 years ago and didn't have anything else in the pipeline at the time so from brew day to finished drinking was about 2 months.
Turned out very good but will brew again and give it more time to mature.

This time I'm thinking of using a sachet of WY Cali Lager yeast I need to use up.
Or does this need the crispness of Chico or another high attenuating yeast so it doesn't become too cloying?

I used Imperial Tartan yeast and hydro sample seems well attenuated not cloying at all even though the beer only finished at 1.018. Not Chico yeast but just thought I’d chime in.

I will be kegging this one tomorrow. I subbed honey for honey malt and used San Diego Super yeast. FG is 1.008 which makes this a 5.5 ABV.
Color of the sample isn't red like I had hoped. Hopefully once carbed it will be good (color wise).

My latest forum batch was the bee cave porter. Another forum home run. This weekend it's yoopers ale
Eric

Update - Raging Ryerish Red Ale

So... First brew day yesterday in the new house. Its been almost a year since I brewed in general.

So here is what i ended up brewing with:

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Rice Hulls

Mashed at 151.7 (was cold yesterday, i was aiming for 153ish) for 1 hour

Ended up sparging a little slow, sped it up towards the end and accidently ended up with 7.5g for boil

Boil ended up going for 75 mins to try and bring the volume down

1.00 oz Crystal [4.8 %] 65 min boil
1.00 oz Cascade [6.9 %] 25 min boil
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) 5 min boil

Fermented with WLP-004 Irish Ale

Ended with 6.5 gallons @ 1.050. Had to use a sangria bottle for the extra volume. So I guess its going to be a nice crushable ale in a month. Color and tasted great going into the carboy.

Woke up this morning and had to change out the blow-off vessel i was using already. I am pretty excited. Here is a pic of everything cleaned up now:

20200202_094531.jpeg

I have a batch of this that will be ready to keg in a few days. Our local homebrew club will have a booth at an upcoming, craft beer festival, and I'm hoping to serve my red ale along side some of the bigger name breweries.

http://www.slocraftbeer.com/food-and-beer.html

Kegged this evening. Efficiency was a bit better than in the past as I keep tweaking things. Ended up around 6.8%. Cold crashing tonight and tomorrow and giving it gas on Sunday. I plan on bringing a half growler sample to our homebrew club meeting Monday evening Then the plan is to let it sit for a couple weeks in preparation for the beer fest.

Back