Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG

I have brewed this beer a couple times now. It's a good, solid recipe. There is a version scaled for 6.5 galllons in the Beersmith app, which I have followed, since I could use the built in timer. I've substituted Crystal 120L since that is what is available at the LHBS. This time I added an once of Cascade hops in addition to the honey a flame out. And used WLP 099 instead of 001 for yeast. It's now bubbling away in the fermenter.

Poured my first glass yesterday. Pretty tasty. I forgot to add in the Carafoam. It's a bit thin becuase of that mistake maybe? I'll be sure and add it in the next time. This one had an explosive fermentation for me, using WLP001. 5 gallons of wort in my 7 gal Fermonster and I needed a blow off tube. I've never needed a blow off tube on the Fermonster. And the krauzen was huge for days.

red.jpg

I really liked this last batch, adding Cascade at flameout. My version hasn’t turned out very red, but tastes good. One of my favorites now. Think I’ll order some Cararoma via one of the supply houses to try to get the color right. Cheers...

Taking a tab at this one on Father's Day. Only difference is I'll be using Fuggle and EKG hops. Can't decide between US-05 and a English ESB yeast from Lallemand (can't get liquid yeast right now).

I brewed this last week with 2oz cascade at flameout also. no carafoam, honey or other. WLP005. just dropped it in keg. should be a couple of weeks while malts develop but right now its pretty tasty. looking forward to it.

Taking a tab at this one on Father's Day. Only difference is I'll be using Fuggle and EKG hops. Can't decide between US-05 and a English ESB yeast from Lallemand (can't get liquid yeast right now).

I think either of those would be ok, I might go with the US-05 just to let the malt and hop character shine thru rather than muddying it up any with an English yeast-but maybe you want that complexity-your call. Should be delicious either way-let is know what way you go and how it turns out!

I think either of those would be ok, I might go with the US-05 just to let the malt and hop character shine thru rather than muddying it up any with an English yeast-but maybe you want that complexity-your call. Should be delicious either way-let is know what way you go and how it turns out!

I'd agree with this.
I haven't used it yet but what I heard about that ESB yeast is that it has low attenuation and as this beer is already quite malty with all the caraaroma and melo it might turn out a bit too sweet, even with the drying effect of the honey.

Hi,
My brew shop does not bring carafoam. How can I replace it? And something else. What kind of honey could I use? Thanks

Well, I found a smack pack of 1056 in the fridge that was next to expire so I'm brewing this today with 1056 :)

Hi,
My brew shop does not bring carafoam. How can I replace it? And something else. What kind of honey could I use? Thanks

Do they have CaraPils? If not them just replace with base malt equal weight-mashed at the Same temp in the recipe Cara Pils/foam is supposed to give better head retention and mouthfeel-but I’m not sure this recipe needs it with a 154F mash, and the other Cara malt-those two thing should be enough to give it head and mouthfeel.

What honey do you have available? Any good quality, real honey, not rice sugar/syrup, will do. Wildflower, clover, whatever you have.

Last edited:
Well, I found a smack pack of 1056 in the fridge that was next to expire so I'm brewing this today with 1056 :)
US-05 and 1056 are supposed to be the same yeast-and is also supposed to be the same as WLP001 as in the recipe-but I agree-use the liquid now before it ages in the smack pack any longer if you have it on hand.

Do they have CaraPils? If not them just replace with base malt equal weight-mashed at the Same temp in the recipe Cara Pils/foam is supposed to give better head retention and mouthfeel-but I’m not sure this recipe needs it with a 154F mash, and the other Cara malt-those two thing should be enough to give it head and mouthfeel.

What honey do you have available? Any good quality, real honey, not rice sugar/syrup, will do. Wildflower, clover, whatever you have.
Thanks for your time. I can find caramels. About the honey I have a lot of local products. Thank you again.

I've got this in the fermenter now. I brewed it last year and loved it. It's a staple in my rotation for sure. This time I used 1056 and it was a monster. More krausen than usual ( I made a healthy starter).

.5 lb of melanoidin malt? How did that go? I’m asking because that is a malt I’ve only used a couple times and everything I’ve read says to use it in very small quantities. It’s supposed to contribute a richness and some say a decoction mash quality without actually doing a decoction mash. People use it in altbiers or to try to pull off a lager style done as an ale. I’ve never seen a recipe with a half pound of it.

From MoreBeer "Much like Munich, but with more aroma. Lends mouthfeel and great aromatics to the beer. Has a nice almost biscuit flavor. Use to help replicate the maltiness and mouthfeel found in decoction mashes. Could be overpowering if used as more than 20% of the grain bill. Must be mashed. Improves flavor stability, fullness, and imparts a reddish color to dark, amber, and red-colored beers. Great for use in Dark Lagers and Red Ales."

My LHBS didn't have caraaroma, special b was the recommend replacement. also, used denny's favorite instead of wlp001. Was worried when in the fermenter it looked more like a brown ale, but turned out beautiful and looks identical to the other posts here.
Tastes amazing!

I’m glad you had good results substituting the caraaroma. My LHBS doesn’t carry it either. I had to order it online. I always thought it was the star of the show for this recipe but I’m glad you are seeing positive results with a substitute. Rock on!

I attempted this as my first beer batch ever. I brewed it at a friends place last Saturday and it is currently fermenting there. My concern is I used a "Coopers all in One Fermenter (Coopers All In One Fermenter) to ferment it in. I am using it with the Krausen Kollar, and lid on, but didn't realize that I am supposed to clip the lid to the kollar when I set it up. My friend is out of town for the rest of the week and wont be able to check up on it till Sunday, but i would be concerned that the lid could have blown off without the lids and it would be doing open fermentation.
20200814_165132.jpg

Any thoughts on how open fermentation would effect this recipe?

I attempted this as my first beer batch ever. I brewed it at a friends place last Saturday and it is currently fermenting there. My concern is I used a "Coopers all in One Fermenter (Coopers All In One Fermenter) to ferment it in. I am using it with the Krausen Kollar, and lid on, but didn't realize that I am supposed to clip the lid to the kollar when I set it up. My friend is out of town for the rest of the week and wont be able to check up on it till Sunday, but i would be concerned that the lid could have blown off without the lids and it would be doing open fermentation.
View attachment 694703
Any thoughts on how open fermentation would effect this recipe?

Did you use an airlock? If you used an airlock then there won't be enough pressure to lift the lid. It also looks like there is enough headspace below the collar where you won't have an issue.

However, I can't see an airlock in that pic. If there is no airlock then you might get enough pressure buildup to push the lid off. If you do end up with an open fermentation it will hopefully be after the yeast has enough time to dominate the microbial environment. Worst case scenario, you now have a Flanders red instead of Irish lol

Did you use an airlock? If you used an airlock then there won't be enough pressure to lift the lid. It also looks like there is enough headspace below the collar where you won't have an issue.

However, I can't see an airlock in that pic. If there is no airlock then you might get enough pressure buildup to push the lid off. If you do end up with an open fermentation it will hopefully be after the yeast has enough time to dominate the microbial environment. Worst case scenario, you now have a Flanders red instead of Irish lol

Thanks for the reply. I did not have an airlock on it. My friend will be home tomorrow so I will know if the lid blew off then. I'm assuming if it has that it would be best to put the lid back on (with the clips) and see what happens?

Thanks for the reply. I did not have an airlock on it. My friend will be home tomorrow so I will know if the lid blew off then. I'm assuming if it has that it would be best to put the lid back on (with the clips) and see what happens?

You may have actually lucked out on this. You should really use an airlock. If you lock everything down, one of two things will happen. 1) The gas will build up and blow the lid off of whatever you are fermenting in. 2) You somehow have a pressure vessel and you will ferment under pressure. This means all of the CO2 produced by the yeast will be dissolved in the beer. In which case you will have foamy mess on your hands.

In the future, use a simple 3-piece airlock with some vodka or sanitizer solution in it when fermenting.

You may have actually lucked out on this. You should really use an airlock. If you lock everything down, one of two things will happen. 1) The gas will build up and blow the lid off of whatever you are fermenting in. 2) You somehow have a pressure vessel and you will ferment under pressure. This means all of the CO2 produced by the yeast will be dissolved in the beer. In which case you will have foamy mess on your hands.

In the future, use a simple 3-piece airlock with some vodka or sanitizer solution in it when fermenting.

The lid did stay on and appears to be fermenting properly. I don't think I am supposed to use an airlock with this type of fermentor, as the collar is supposed to move up and down and release the gas naturally as it builds up. Check out this clip of it in action . If you still think i should add an airlock though I could also add it as an extra precaution?

The lid did stay on and appears to be fermenting properly. I don't think I am supposed to use an airlock with this type of fermentor, as the collar is supposed to move up and down and release the gas naturally as it builds up. Check out this clip of it in action . If you still think i should add an airlock though I could also add it as an extra precaution?

Got it! I have never seen such a thing, and I stand corrected. Sounds you are okay.

I made the OP’s recipe except I used Nottingham dry yeast as I didn’t want liquid yeast shipped in the hot weather. My OG was 1.068 and ended up at FG 1.010 at bottling— BIAB efficiency at 86% (double crush). I’m drinking a cold one from the bottle as I write this after bottling 19 days ago and this bottle has been in the fridge for 24+. Given my high expectations, I’m a bit underwhelmed. Maybe aging will help. The Cascade hops are more prominent than I’d like., at least right now. Also, it is cloudy as hell but that’s my fault as I forgot the whirfloc tab and I can’t cold crash for finings. The vigorous portion of the fermentation was in the 64-67F range I’d say. I use a fermenter jacket with ice bottles. I like it but hope it improves as I thought it would come across more malt forward.

Last edited:
Brewed another 11 gallons yesterday, in the fermenter now. It ages well and smooths out the hops ^^^^
Eric

See my previous post a couple of messages back for some additional history, but this recipe is my first attempt at brewing beer. I somehow overshot the og (measured 1.056, might be because I boiled for 10 min longer than I planned if that would effect it?) I'm on day 19 of fermenting (just left it in a primary, it's been at about 19 c the entire time) and the fg is measuring only 1.026. I'm assuming this is not ideal, any suggestions on what I should do?

Congrats! You made beer! This hobby is a never ending learning adventure. Do not worry about " hitting numbers " till like batch 20. Enjoy the fruits of your labor with friends and brew on!
Eric

I made the OP’s recipe except I used Nottingham dry yeast as I didn’t want liquid yeast shipped in the hot weather. My OG was 1.068 and ended up at FG 1.010 at bottling— BIAB efficiency at 86% (double crush). I’m drinking a cold one from the bottle as I write this after bottling 19 days ago and this bottle has been in the fridge for 24+. Given my high expectations, I’m a bit underwhelmed. Maybe aging will help. The Cascade hops are more prominent than I’d like., at least right now. Also, it is cloudy as hell but that’s my fault as I forgot the whirfloc tab and I can’t cold crash for finings. The vigorous portion of the fermentation was in the 64-67F range I’d say. I use a fermenter jacket with ice bottles. I like it but hope it improves as I thought it would come across more malt forward.
So it’s 18 days later and this has smoothed out quite bit and I’m really liking it. The Cascade has backed off so malt is coming through, seems malt sweet but not overly. I’ll definitely make it again! Oh, and definitely reddish in color.

Latest posts

Back