racking to secondary and then bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevechilds34

Reaction score
I did an Austrian Pale Ale and added extra hops. After the fermentation had died down, I racked to a secondary to lose the hops in the bottom of the fermenter, after a week I then bottled it. it then occurred to me that what I was bottling would have less yeast in it, and therefore it might struggle to produce enough C02 with the carb drops i used in the bottles.

Is my thinking correct? is there anything else I should do?

There should be plenty of yeast. However your concern maybe should be to see how much your beer attenuated and what the typical attenuation range of the yeast you used is. And also compare the ABV of your beer to the stated alcohol tolerance of the yeast you used. If those are at or over the limits of that yeast, then you might consider adding some yeast that has a higher tolerance for alcohol. But also one that will only eat the sugar that you add to prime and not the sugars that were left from the first fermentation.

That said, I haven't had any issue with the remaining yeast in the beers I've made even when at the limits. Though some have seemed to take longer than two weeks to fully carbonate.

Back