Rack to secondary after dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason D Cook

Reaction score
I just dry-hopped my second batch of beer and discovered that my new capper won't arrive for possibly more than 10 days (I'm in the Philippines).

I don't want the beer (Dead Ringer IPA kit) to sit with the hops that long.

Could I give the dry hops four days or so and then rack to a secondary container and hold it at fermenting temp until my capper comes in?

I think you could let the hops sit there for full 10 days and then bottle. Hop aromas will probably fade slightly compared to 2-5 days of dry hopping but not dramatically. Racking to secondary at this stage is probably not the best idea cause you may lose some of the hop aromas during the transfer and because of some fresh oxygen introduced during this process. If you, for some reason, end up racking the beer do it carefully and don't leave head space in secondary. In this case, add some fresh hops to secondary. This is based on my limited experience.

I just dry-hopped my second batch of beer and discovered that my new capper won't arrive for possibly more than 10 days (I'm in the Philippines).

I don't want the beer (Dead Ringer IPA kit) to sit with the hops that long.

Could I give the dry hops four days or so and then rack to a secondary container and hold it at fermenting temp until my capper comes in?

Yes, great idea. I would.

Okay, that's 2 for Leaving It and 1 for Racking It.

I guess Leaving It wins. :)

What I'll do is watch the delivery schedule very closely and shoot for leaving the hops on it for 7 or maybe 8 days and then cold crashing it for three days. I should have a working capper by then.

Unless Murphy shows up with his stupid Law.

If you have any more hops, you could go a few more days on the initial dry hop, then add another charge to make up for any loss of the first one and/or make a hop monster!

Back